More fossils from Calvert Cliffs

quatsea1

I would greatly appreciate help with identifying exactly what fossils I have here... Again,  they were all picked up at Calvert Cliffs, MD. I am most interested in the odd little (tooth?) second down on the left.  Thanks so much!!

20170730_183358.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Can you please take a pic of the other side of your "tooth".

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I didn't even know that you could find those at calvert cliffs. I have been there many times and never found one before.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Beat me to it, porcupine fish. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks everyone! Any ideas about the others?... How about the bottom left (with ridges)? 

41 minutes ago, quatsea1 said:

Thanks everyone! Any ideas about the others?... How about the bottom left (with ridges)? 

I was specifically avoiding this, as I have no idea what it is. Well, that's a lie I have a few ideas, none looks quite right. My top two guesses are weird Ray mouth plate, and strange looking scute, it's strange though. Others may know better, I barely remember my last time visiting the cliffs, although I hope to go there again soon.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Good job. In addition to this forum, the Calvert Marine Museum down in the Solomon's will identify fossils. CalvertMarineMuseum.com

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2017 at 10:01 PM, Thepaleontologist101 said:

The grooved one might be a fragment of a scallop shell. Could I see a more close up and detailed picture 

As in the bottom-left one???

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that's not scallop ;)

1 - texture is completely off

2 - spaces between the ridges are irregular

3 - ridges are parallel

All 3 indications that this is surely not scallop. I would go either with some weird bone piece, or just a concretion.

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

On 9/18/2017 at 6:43 AM, Max-fossils said:

As in the bottom-left one???

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that's not scallop ;)

1 - texture is completely off

2 - spaces between the ridges are irregular

3 - ridges are parallel

All 3 indications that this is surely not scallop. I would go either with some weird bone piece, or just a concretion.

Fair point. My next best idea is maybe a crocodile scute? 

It's pretty hard to tell from just a picture keep in mind 

4 minutes ago, Thepaleontologist101 said:

Now it's out of my field of expertise. Not sure about this one. Sorry to only give a destructive ID

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

3 hours ago, Thepaleontologist101 said:

Definitely not a crocodile scute. Crocodile osteoderms have 'pitting' for muscle and connective tissue attachment :)

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Could it be ripple marks?

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Could it be ripple marks?

Not likely. Ripple marks come from the ocean floor that's been turned into rock. The cliffs are still entirely clay so no ripple marks could come out of it

16 minutes ago, Thepaleontologist101 said:

Not likely. Ripple marks come from the ocean floor that's been turned into rock. The cliffs are still entirely clay so no ripple marks could come out of it

I was thinking more along the lines of the iron stone found at the cliffs. Sometimes I've heard this bog iron contain footprints (along the Potomac, Pleistocene) so I dont think it's a huge stretch. I'm not sure though, all iron I've found there has a more yellow form of iron oxide.

Happy hunting,

Mason