Brittlestar identification.

Mctapmonkey

I picked up this Brittlestar recently at a fossil fair, but when I tried to research it later the Cyphaspis label seems to refer to a Trilobite sp.

Can anyone clarify what I have here?

WP_20170723_006[1].jpg

WP_20170723_009[1].jpg

59a12fc7c4412_WP_20170723_0071.thumb.jpg.1242e12f8e92a4f06b3e6642ad0ba1fd.jpg

Ophiura sp. ?  Or maybe a very strangely shaped trilobite:P

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

15 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Ophiura sp. ?  Or maybe a very strangely shaped trilobite:P

I think you mean Ophiopetra.  I have a similar specimen from the Solnhofen formation in Germany.  This one may have had some paint applied to the center disk (I can't tell for sure) but it is a very nice specimen.

2 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

I think you mean Ophiopetra.  I have a similar specimen from the Solnhofen formation in Germany.  This one may have had some paint applied to the center disk (I can't tell for sure) but it is a very nice specimen.

Or it could be Ophiura, they apparently both show up in the fossil record.  Perhaps an expert can say for sure.

11 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

11 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

Or it could be Ophiura, they apparently both show up in the fossil record.  Perhaps an expert can say for sure.

I'm not sure, Ophiura is just what most Sellers say, although I'm not sure the trustworthiness of them.  I hope there is an Paleophiuroidologist that can help somewhere on the forum.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

This paper may be a good help, I wasn't able to extract an answer from it, but maybe someone more knowledgeable on the subject will.

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

This paper may be a good help, I wasn't able to extract an answer from it, but maybe someone more knowledgeable on the subject will.

Here is a link to an article with some good photos of Ophiopetra lithographica from the Solnhofen formation in Germany.  I now realize the arms of the specimen in question don't match Ophiopetra very well, so it's probably something else.  Not sure what.

http://woostergeologists.scotblogs.wooster.edu/2013/03/10/woosters-fossil-of-the-week-a-brittle-star-from-the-upper-jurassic-of-germany/

I posted a pic out of the first reference that page mentions,Enay//Hess.

BTW,I've got (probably)ALL of Hess's ophiuroid studies

I've got a pretty good idea of ophiuriod systematics.

The fossil shown is the spitting image of an as yet unnamed ophiuroid fossil from the Triassic of Lombardy

• I found this Informative 1

Hess(SJG,2008):

Subfamily Ophiopetrinae new Diagnosis. – Arms spines robust, erect, inserted on distinct
sockets; lateral arm plates not striated.
Ophiopetra ENAY & HESS 1962
Diagnosis. – Teeth conical; 3–4 arm spines, length up to two arm
segments; dorsal arm plates triangular with convex distal edge,
in contact only in proximal part of arms.
Ophiopetra lithographica ENAY & HESS 1962
Diagnosis. – Teeth conical, increasing in size dorsally and becoming
flattend; six oral papillae, proximally four leaf-like papillae,
distally two conical papillae; surface of lateral arm plates
slightly concave; arm spines longer than arm segment; adoral
shields barely in contact; plate bar-like.