Calvert Cliffs. (Day 3, last day of trip)

anthracite31

Our final day saw us leaving Greenville at 5am on the way back north to Calvert Cliffs.  Matoaka Beach Cabins to be exact.   A breezy but beautiful day!  Very little in the way of teeth and my daughter found all of them.  One of them she darn near dove for.  The photos will explain why.

IMG_4219.JPG

IMG_4218.JPG

IMG_4220.JPG

IMG_4216.JPG

@anthracite31

Looks like she found a "frag-lodon."  It really is heart breaking when you see a nice root and when you pull it out there is only a broken shard of a blade. That would have a been a really nice sized tooth too.

At least the 2 of you had a fun trip down south and hit a variety spots.

Cheers,

SA2

• I found this Informative 1

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

3 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

@anthracite31

Looks like she found a "frag-lodon."  It really is heart breaking when you see a nice root and when you pull it out there is only a broken shard of a blade. That would have a been a really nice sized tooth too.

At least the 2 of you had a fun trip down south and hit a variety spots.

Cheers,

SA2

Ha ha!  Love it.   This is by far the largest tooth she has found and was totally thrilled with it.   She didn't need to find a whole one.   That can come later!

Haven't been to Matoaka Beach yet...might have to take my son down early this fall.  The broken meg tooth is still cool in my book, can't blame her for being thrilled.  The shell is also a nice find.  

2 hours ago, Adam86cucv said:

Haven't been to Matoaka Beach yet...might have to take my son down early this fall.  The broken meg tooth is still cool in my book, can't blame her for being thrilled.  The shell is also a nice find.  

Matoaka Beach is amazing. I ended up going there right before heading out to Utah and really miss it. If you look carefully around the base of the cliffs sometimes you will see fall out with intact Ecphora. They are there but a lot of times shattered into pieces. That Meg tooth is still a rare find despite missing most of the tooth I would still consider it a keeper due to its rarity and size. Congrats!

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

18 hours ago, anthracite31 said:

Ha ha!  Love it.   This is by far the largest tooth she has found and was totally thrilled with it.   She didn't need to find a whole one.   That can come later!

Here is my heart breaker from mid-April. The root was 4 1/2 inches across.

59a70678a276f_20170409_100352-Copy.jpg.fc78917695a10a6eae2fdb6140d959df.jpg

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

5 hours ago, Adam86cucv said:

It's way cool in my book to!  The shell is a lot more plentiful there than the meg.  The owners of the place charge a small fee for beach access and it's an easy and convenient way to get to the beach.

3 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Matoaka Beach is amazing. I ended up going there right before heading out to Utah and really miss it. If you look carefully around the base of the cliffs sometimes you will see fall out with intact Ecphora. They are there but a lot of times shattered into pieces. That Meg tooth is still a rare find despite missing most of the tooth I would still consider it a keeper due to its rarity and size. Congrats!

Oh wow.   I didn't see any of them yet.  A predatory snail just sounds funny.  I'll look closer on our next trip!  

Here's one I found there two months ago and no these are not easy to find intact. This one was entered in the IPFOTM for what I think was the month of July but didn't win that round. If you are serious about finding these talk to @SailingAlongToo He knows some good locations for them and takes out charter boats for a fee. These snails look gorgeous with their four ribs and maroon coloration.

IMG_0309.JPG

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda