Kane

In the field, I always seem to pocket neat associations. Two from the last month have been a platyceras affixed to a horn coral, and a tiny brachiopod pressed against the end piece of an orthocone nautiloid.

While going through my little pile of dusty high-spired gastropods from last weekend's Brechin trip, I rubbed at the larger one and found a cute, full prone Flexicalymene there. 

Not a spectacular (re)discovery, but pretty cool nonetheless. :) 

IMG_4119.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Is that also another smaller gastropod to the upper left from the trilobite? 

Love associations like this. :wub: 
Very cool piece, Kane. :) 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That's a sweet association. :wub:

On rare occasions, one can find whole trilobites that apparently took refuge inside the living chamber of empty nautiloid shells.

Don C

49 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Is that also another smaller gastropod to the upper left from the trilobite? 

Love associations like this. :wub: 
Very cool piece, Kane. :) 

Regards, 

You know, I magnified the photo a little later and thought I spied a mini-gastro up there! You've the eye of an eagle, Tim!

I really like that one... hoping that was not the gastropod I handed you ....lol

Can't say I have ever found an isolated gastropod with a trilobite on it. Would have thought they would have gone their separate ways.

5 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

I really like that one... hoping that was not the gastropod I handed you ....lol

Can't say I have ever found an isolated gastropod with a trilobite on it. Would have thought they would have gone their separate ways.

No, that was one I pocketed from the talus. If it is matrix free, I put it in my bucket. It was broken so I wouldn't have taken it if it wasn't so large. Glad I did now!

The trilo was entirely covered in dirt/dust. I wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't been handling it a bit. I'm finding a lot of surprises in some of the stuff I've brought back - makes me wish I just brought tons of matrix home!

I'm very curious about how that trilobite got on the shell in the first place.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

2 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

I'm very curious about how that trilobite got on the shell in the first place.

Likely just death assemblage. 

Eh, I was thinking more like a scenario where the trilobite accidentally bit into the shell and got stuck (as inaccurate as that might be) lol

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

14 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Eh, I was thinking more like a scenario where the trilobite accidentally bit into the shell and got stuck (as inaccurate as that might be) lol

Maybe the snail froze and the trilobite took a dare to stick his tongue on it and froze there.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Maybe the snail froze and the trilobite took a dare to stick his tongue on it and froze there.

:rofl:

11 hours ago, ynot said:

Lol! I can picture that little hypostome of the flexi venturing out of peer pressure while the other Flexis rib him/her on!

16 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

That's gonna be a nice little combi.

It just might... I don't have the means yet to clean it properly, so it will go in the "to be prepped pile" until I can build a prep station with all the tools.

Great find Kane, and even better considering it was an "after the fact" bonus. I have one of the Flexis inside a cephalopod from that quarry but I don't ever recall seeing one on a gastropod.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else