Gainsville bone fragment

Williamrock

Looks like the distal end of a humerus, or something like it  .. of what I don't know. Someone else will probably swing by and give us a clue.

1 hour ago, Williamrock said:

Hey all I know it's a long shot but I found a neat fragment in the creek and wanted to show y'all ! 

15048041886841605294077.jpg

This is from the Florida Museum website .. they have some great images and resources.  Again I'm not an expert in the area or mammal bones but this looks like a small creature.  This image is of a Rhizosmilodon fiteae ... Fite’s saber-tooth cat

But you get the idea. I'm using it here only as an example. The locality doesn't look correct. It may also be too little of a chunk to be diagnostic.

Image Source: https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/rhizosmilodon-fiteae

Rhizosmilodon-fiteae-3.jpg.358d163257b9d28bbb3401fff4f9c22e.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with that.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I can't tell from the images whether the fragment has an entepicondylar foramen -- does it?  You'll have to remove the matrix.  That would offer a better chance of an identification.

canid_humerus.JPG

amphicyonid_humerus_distal.JPG

entepiconcloseup.jpg

humericatcoon.jpg

humericatcoonB.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

2 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I can't tell from the images whether the fragment has an entepicondylar foramen -- does it?  You'll have to remove the matrix.  That would offer a better chance of an identification.

Those are some beautiful images btw .....

Cheers,

B