Baculite with calcite, want to cut but is it better as a specimen?

TimS

Found this baculite filled with what i think is calcite. NE Wyoming, Pierre Shale formation. I'm a novice lapidary and am thinking of cutting this into round segments for display, but don't want to ruin it if it would be more valuable / interesting as an intact specimen. Opinions welcome!

baculite4.jpg

To start, great find! How big is it?

Personally, I prefer specimens to be complete and natural. By slicing it into pieces to display more of the crystalized calcite, it would no longer be recognizable as a Baculite, and it would be better as-is, since it appears that you even have parts of the nacre present.

• I found this Informative 1

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

Thanks for the input Douvilleiceras.

The piece is about 5" long and 2.5" wide, and the chamber with crystals is about 2" deep. There is a thick partial layer of nacre remaining but it's very faded. Here are a couple different angles:

baculite1.jpg

baculite3.jpg

I agree that it is Your piece and You can do whatever You want to with it.

I would just polish one end and see what that looks like before deciding whether slicing it into pieces  is worth the effort..

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I agree with all folks here.  Yes, there are more to be found, a lot, if you spend the time out there, and I would also wonder if cutting it would help it become more than just two clean halves, but a mess of little pieces.  

Thanks guys. In my mind I could see slicing perfect gemmy rings from it, but as mentioned baculite is fragile and so is the crystal. Might just make a mess. I think i'll keep it whole as an interesting specimen. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

I generally agree with the others, too... My perspective on this is, if you can look into one end and see through to the other end (or at least see light coming in the other end), it's an interesting piece and does not need to be split. I have a piece of dino bone like that. If you find a bunch more specimens like it, then you can start experimenting with splitting one or a few of them. Once it is split, it can't be put back together quite the same...

I would leave it whole and wire brush the nasty bit of shell off then polish it. I have done this several times in the past with magnificent results. Once you get the shell off, the material underneath usually polishes well and shows beautiful sutures.