How to peel off ammolite coating of old collection

yuyu fossile

I bought ammolite on a internet auction.

Former owner attached  the documents about the fossile, that says it's bought in 1995.

But the fossil coating is too old, and peeled off in some places. So I tried to peel all coating off and make new coating.

I thought coating would be made from paraloid b72, but it cannot be dissolved by toluene and it is difficult to peel off all.

Do you know any good idea to peel off old coating?

PXL_20240413_063316521.jpg

Dissolving in acetone would likely work if it is Paraloid B72. 

• I Agree 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I should also add that it may be the case that the specimen is being held together by the same Paraloid. So, if you do a more immersive process, it may come apart. Of course, the pieces can be glued back together, or you can do repeated applications of acetone to the surface areas, judiciously avoiding the cracked areas.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I tried acetone but the coating was not be dissolved. It seems the coating is made by resin.

I coat paraloid b72 on the old coating, the colour gets vivid.

PXL_20240413_102900955.jpg

Sandblast it off, which will 'dull' it, but with a coating, I use synthetic floor wax, will bring it back to life.  Just a suggestion

RB

• Thank You 1

Most Ammolite has an epoxy coating on it. Ammolite is just the marketing name for colorful ammonite shell. It is very fragile, hence the epoxy resin. There's no good way to dissolve it.

The safest plan of attack is to cut your losses and leave it alone. You could try an application of Paraloid to the areas where the resin is gone just to bring some of the color back but that's unlikely. The iridescent part of the shell is in the top layers and usually comes off with the resin.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

After peeling off some coating with a plastic ruler, I coated paraloid b72.

It's more beautiful than before

• Enjoyed 1

I am going to restate what ptych said... This is likely not ammolite.  Ammolite is a trade name for polished ammonite nacre from a specific mine in Alberta, Canada.  As he said, ammolite is polished and coated with stuff is not easily removed, as far as I know.  I do not think there are any baculites in the 'Ammolite' mine, but I may be wrong.    

This is a baculite with well preserved nacre, and it has some sort of coating on it.  If it does not come off with toluene or acetone, it is probably pretty permanent.  Can you show us an example of where it is peeling?  When you removed the peeling part, did it take the nacre with it?  

PXL_20240422_035406883.thumb.jpg.98afb0ab6c7da616b932df60a1e2ee65.jpgMiddle part is peeled off and re-coated. But on thick part, the coating is harder I gave up peeling.