Tooth fragment? Kansas River Pleistocene

Xiphactinus

Hello Forum! We had a fun float on the Kansas River near Lawrence this weekend. Found the normal assortment of bison and deer bones/teeth, but have one weird piece I'm struggling to ID.

It's definitely enamel, even though it looks somewhat like a pectin fragment. (This is non-marine Pleistocene, so pectin is ruled out anyway.)

Closest I can come to is a fragment of a root of a mammoth tooth plate. Thoughts?

IMG_1336.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

Compare with capybara teeth and rusted out oil filters.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

it is strange for sure!

Do the ends appear to be worn and hollowed out or clean edges as if it was formed with those voids?

Wish I had a boat! I also live in KS, I know that the Republican River near Fort Riley usually yields some interesting stuff like bone and petrified wood. 

CD

9 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Compare with capybara teeth and rusted out oil filters.

OK, you guys nailed it.  It's metal. Rats!

Your experience is not out of the norm.  A buddy sent me pix of the “mammoth tusk” he lugged home a while back.  Great find until I asked him to jab it with a hot needle...went right in.  I informed him that he’d portaged a blob of paint where the can had rusted away.  We still laugh about it, but I let that be his idea.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

On 26-9-2017 at 3:23 PM, Xiphactinus said:

pectin

Not sure what you mean with this...

You probably mean "pecten": the pecten of the animal (comb-like structure which can be used for many different things); or Pecten (scallop genus). You probably mean the second one; in that case, it's a lot easier to just put in scallop. ;)

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils