Brownie's Beach Mammal Tooth?

eannis6

Hello everyone! I found what I believe is a mammal tooth, but I'm not sure from what. Thanks for the help in adavance!

IMG_8480.JPG

IMG_8481.JPG

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

It's a tooth from a ray.

I can definitely see that now. Thanks for the help.

Could it be a seal molar?

I agree broken Ray tooth.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hey @eannis6, I'm not sure where you are in Virginia, but Douglas Point/purse state park (I personally go to Douglas, they are adjacent and pretty much the same) is a fossil site south of D.C., it's free and has a mile walk to the Potomac where you can find 200 sharks teeth with a three hour walk easily, as well as countless more Ray teeth. It's one of my personal favorite hunting spots. It's Paleocene In age so no megs, but there are occasionally large otodus es (so far I've only found small ones) and the prize finds are croc teeth, reptile bones of crocs and turtles, and Paleocarcharodon. Just thought I'd share it.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Hey @eannis6, I'm not sure where you are in Virginia, but Douglas Point/purse state park (I personally go to Douglas, they are adjacent and pretty much the same) is a fossil site south of D.C., it's free and has a mile walk to the Potomac where you can find 200 sharks teeth with a three hour walk easily, as well as countless more Ray teeth. It's one of my personal favorite hunting spots. It's Paleocene In age so no megs, but there are occasionally large otodus es (so far I've only found small ones) and the prize finds are croc teeth, reptile bones of crocs and turtles, and Paleocarcharodon. Just thought I'd share it.

And don't miss the forest (fossil wood) for the teeth. :)

11 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Thank you both so much for the info! I will definitely have to check it out. That's so neat WhodamanHD. I've wanted to find a croc tooth for some time:D

11 hours ago, Rockwood said:

There is a ton of carbonized wood, I leave most of it because it's all small pieces rather than large chunks.

6 hours ago, eannis6 said:

Thank you both so much for the info! I will definitely have to check it out. That's so neat WhodamanHD. I've wanted to find a croc tooth for some time:D

No problem! I've been told croc teeth are uncommon, but the a pristine one with a little root was the first thing I found (saw another one last time, but the waves took it before I could grab it). It's a great stop, be sure to post whatever you find there! 

Happy hunting,

Mason

27 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

There is a ton of carbonized wood, I leave most of it because it's all small pieces rather than large chunks.

I have a small piece that is identifiable as angiosperm. Would throw all the shark teeth ever found there back in the river to have it. 

4 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I have a small piece that is identifiable as angiosperm. Would throw all the shark teeth ever found there back in the river to have it. 

If you were to do that I'd jump in after them:P

Happy hunting,

Mason

11 hours ago, ynot said:

It is a ray tooth, but it is not broken.

It is a whole tooth that came from the side of the tooth plate.

That's neat Ynot, thanks for the help! I've never found one like it was why it threw me off at first XD 

5 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

No problem! I've been told croc teeth are uncommon, but the a pristine one with a little root was the first thing I found (saw another one last time, but the waves took it before I could grab it). It's a great stop, be sure to post whatever you find there! 

That's awesome! I was on my first Fossil trip ever at Westmoreland State Park when someone pulled a croctooth out of the water!

1 hour ago, eannis6 said:

That's awesome! I was on my first Fossil trip ever at Westmoreland State Park when someone pulled a croctooth out of the water!

They are nice, mind you they are usually rather small, think I may either have a juvenile or a posterior tooth (maybe from thecacampsia? Not technically a croc, but it's a crocodilian) both I've seen where like a CM or so, here's a bad picture of the one I found, maybe you can find a bigger one (I know they are out there!)

IMG_3209.JPG

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

They are nice, mind you they are usually rather small, think I may either have a juvenile or a posterior tooth (maybe from thecacampsia? Not technically a croc, but it's a crocodilian) both I've seen where like a CM or so, here's a bad picture of the one I found, maybe you can find a bigger one (I know they are out there!)

IMG_3209.JPG

Wow thanks for sharing, that's a neat tooth!

@WhodamanHD do you mind telling me what you think this specimen is? I didn't want to make another entire post. Anyone else that wants to jump in feel free. It looks like a broken sharks tooth, but does not appear broken on the top. Thanks all

IMG_8489.JPG

IMG_8490.JPG

IMG_8491.JPG

20 minutes ago, eannis6 said:

@WhodamanHD do you mind telling me what you think this specimen is? I didn't want to make another entire post. Anyone else that wants to jump in feel free. It looks like a broken sharks tooth, but does not appear broken on the top. Thanks all

First guess from me is fish, possibly along the lines of a barracuda tooth.

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

First guess from me is fish, possibly along the lines of a barracuda tooth.

That's sort of what i was thinking! Thanks:)

41 minutes ago, eannis6 said:

you mind telling me what you think this specimen is?

It maynbe a fish tooth, but sitting on a penny makes it hard to be sure.

Please use a ruler for a scale and set the object on a monotone piece of paper. It will help to make ids.

It will also help if You take pictures straight on and not at an angle.

Regards,

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.