Western Kentucky Fossil Identification

Branch

Hello Everyone, 

I recently moved to western Kentucky and have been finding a ton of fossils here. I think a lot of what I've been finding are corals, crinoids, and brachiopods. 

I found a few fossils that I can't find online. I have no idea what they are. They washed out of a hillside on Kentucky lake in western Kentucky. The specific geology where I found them had a lot of strangely welded rock seams, geodes and a looked like the material may not have originated there (maybe moved through some geologic process). The rocks where I am are mostly limestone. 

The ones I can't Identify are the slightly spiraled ones. The other picture Is a nice coral (I think) specimen from the same location. 

Any Idea on what they are? 

Thanks!

unknown fossil bottom.jpg

unknown fossil.jpg

Coral.jpg

Productid brachiopds and a coral similar to Hexagonaria. I would think. 

Seem to be Devonian or maybe Carboniferous. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Looks like the brachiopod Linoproductus sp and the coral Lithostrontium sp. both Pennsylvanian marine. Best guess. Where at Ky lake?

• I found this Informative 4

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

14 minutes ago, Herb said:

Looks like the brachiopod Linoproductus sp...

What do you think about maybe echinaria, Herb?

Steve

I'm not familiar with the region and its geological ages, but it looks like a Productidina (just to correct the misspelling from the link ). :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks for the ID's everyone!

Herb, I found these on the western shore of Kentucky lake about 2.5 miles south of the 68 bridge. 

Everything in that area is Pennsylvanian , except for a tiny area of Cretaceous Ripley formation which is barren of fossils in KY.

Lithostrontion sp is a rugose coral.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

To avoid any possible confusion, I'm not attempting an ID on the posted specimen.

Taxonomy Update: Lithostrotion / Lithostrotionella has been reclassified as Acrocyathus:

Sando, W.J. (1983)

Revision of Lithostrotionella (Coelenterata, Rugosa) from the Carboniferous and Permian.

United States Geological Survey Professional Paper, 1247:1-52  PDF LINK

Rodríguez, S., & Kopaska-Merkel, D.C. (2014)
Mississippian rugose corals from Alabama: a review.
Journal of Paleontology, 88(5):829-850

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png