Giant rib or? Whale? vert from? and a tooth..

cowgirlfossils

Hello all.  Haven't been on much for the past year or so.  Went to an area I haven't seen since the last big rain and wind of last winter.  New things have fallen.

The large one I'm thinking is a giant rib?  The biggest I have found to date.  Or maybe something else?

Then a much smaller vert than I usually find.   all most likely from the same level.

Now the tooth is a whole new thing for me.  Camel?  Just guessing.  Looking like a grazing tooth.

North East Simi Valley.  Hard to say era due to fault zone etc.    The barnacles are for fun!

DSCN6605.JPG

DSCN6591.JPG

DSCN6592.JPG

DSCN6598 (1).JPG

DSCN6598.JPG

DSCN6596.JPG

DSCN6610.JPG

DSCN6583.JPG

DSCN6590.JPG

DSCN6586.JPG

DSCN6587.JPG

DSCN6603.JPG

DSCN6602.JPG

The place you hunt, is it a cliff?, road cut? Just curious. That's a lot of bone material, something I'm not too good at but someone will know.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

1 minute ago, Innocentx said:

The place you hunt, is it a cliff?, road cut? Just curious. That's a lot of bone material, something I'm not too good at but someone will know.

Sand and gravel quarry now.  Bobby should be checking in...

Thanks

• I found this Informative 1

The tooth is Equus.... horse, lower m1 or m2.  Here is one of Harry's drawings.horse_equus_linedrawingHarry.JPG.6528b911208dbe3c15f1065b0edf9584.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Possible shaft of a poorly preserved cetacean humerus, and the vertebra... probably not from the giant sea cow Hydrodamalis cuestae. Possibly baleen whale or elephant.

If that centrum fragment goes with that neural arch, it seems to me that you would benefit from using plaster jackets out there to collect these in their entirety.

I would love to do the jackets but the items are already very broken up and usually feet apart where they have rolled down the cliff.  Not really sure if they go together or not.  Just found in the same 50sq.ft. area. Years ago I did find a the second vert of a elephant.  Deep in a layer of sand alone.  It's pretty piece meal here.

Everyone have a wonderful Thanksgiving and thanks Bobby for your help.