Found during walk, please help ID, Morris County New Jersey

bgarrabrant

Hello all.  New to this forum.  I recently found these rocks in the side of a hill that appears to have many layers of shale.  About half way up I began to remove pieces of rock and when I flipped on over I noticed the patterns you see in the images I attached.  They look like plants but I have zero experience in paleontology.  Thank you for checking these out and I apologize for the lack of additional info.  If there is any further info that would help determine what these may be, let me know and I will try to add it.  Thanks in advance and have a great day!

fossil1.JPG

fossil2.JPG

fossil3.JPG

fossil4.JPG

fossil5.JPG

fossil6.JPG

fossil7.JPG

Edited by bgarrabrant

Hi, and :Welcome-crab:.

Could you give us a scale and a more precise location ?

Do the hill you speak about is in Lincoln Park ?

That would greatly help us help you.;)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

This was found on the side of a hill in Lincoln Park NJ.  The two larger pieces are about 25cm in length (10 inches) and the two smaller are somewhere near 15-20cm across.  (6-7inches)  Each are about 2.5-3cm thick.  The hill has an exposed face.  There are layers of rock, some thin and brittle, and others well formed and hard.  These came out of the wall just below a very flakey/soft section of rock which breaks up into small fragments or chips when disturbed.  The layer below it, where these were found, is about 2.5-5cm thick (1-2 inches).  The opposite side of these rocks is smooth and does not show any patterns. 

• I found this Informative 1

That's what i firstly thought, a radicular system.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

could be igneous intrusions in Triassic rock. Have seen similar near Patterson. You need to check the state geology map to see if this is possible.

This reminds me of Newark supergroup stuff, I’ve seen Gettysburg FM that look like that and I assume lockatong FM isn’t incredibly different. Not sure what they are,m though, usually just dismissed them as sedimentary structures. Look in that stuff for Dino and lizard footprints. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks to everyone who has shown interest in this post and has added to it.  I greatly appreciate the information, this is a great community!  I will post some more pics of the spot it came out of for future reference and I will also look around to see what else I can come up with.  Thanks again everyone!