My 6 1/4" Meg

Mike Owens

These are before & after photos. I haven't recieved it back, yet. I will take photos when I do. I hope to get some sharper shots to post. From what I can see, the restoration is fantastic. This was done by Kelly Kennedy, owner & artist of Kennedyrestortations.com (Florida). My son, Victor, took two of my grand daughters to see their Texas grandpa's shark's tooth. He called me last night & was really impressed at the quality of the work. He's an amaturer artist himself & knows good work when he sees it. He, also loved Kelly's scrimscraw(sp?) work.

Mike

post-15-1248968817_thumb.jpg

post-15-1248968841_thumb.jpg

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Wow, this guy is phenomenal. I don't know anything about Meg restoration, but I know what he did looks just like the rest of the tooth. Looks very natural. What an awesome tooth!

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Beautiful work!!!! ..... Respect!

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

After looking at your tooth and the two examples of tooth restorations seen on Kennedy's website, I was not impressed. In all three cases I could spot the restoration from the photograph, so it must be even more evident in hand. For high quality fossil and artifact restoration I recommend Dr. Gomer. His website is http://www.drgomer.com

His restorations are of the highest quality and often cannot be detected without a UV light or X-ray. Also, his serrations on his shark tooth restorations (the hardest part!!) are impeccable!!

post-151-1248973890_thumb.png

post-151-1248973898_thumb.png

After looking at your tooth and the two examples of tooth restorations seen on Kennedy's website, I was not impressed. In all three cases I could spot the restoration from the photograph, so it must be even more evident in hand. For high quality fossil and artifact restoration I recommend Dr. Gomer. His website is http://www.drgomer.com

His restorations are of the highest quality and often cannot be detected without a UV light or X-ray. Also, his serrations on his shark tooth restorations (the hardest part!!) are impeccable!!

I appreciate your comments. As I can't enlarge Dr Gomers photos, I can't really compare the work on my tooth to his work. If you don't mind, would you please post a photo of his work that you have held in hand, so I can look at the difference?

Thank you

Mike :D

I too can say that Dr. Gomer's work is unbelievable, you simply cannot tell it was ever restored.

I appreciate your comments. As I can't enlarge Dr Gomers photos, I can't really compare the work on my tooth to his work. If you don't mind, would you please post a photo of his work that you have held in hand, so I can look at the difference?

Thank you

Mike :D

Well, I don't personally collect restored fossils or artifacts, but I do have one. This point was the first point I ever found and I had it restored years ago by Dr. Gomer.

post-151-1248992791_thumb.jpg

post-151-1248992805_thumb.jpg

Yeah you can't tell. :P He does better work than anyone I've ever seen. How he matches up the materieals so well I don't know.

I will say, that is an excellant restortation you have, but I want to see one that involves matching different colors like in my tooth. There are amber & jade colors in mine that I didn't think anyone could match. Also the stress cracks in the enamel look natural to me. If this Dr Gomer can restore one like mine I really want to see it. All the restored teeth I have seen are gray or black, not much of a challenge there in matching colors. So, any member that can send me a good photo of a multicolored meg restoration by Dr Gomer, would be greatly appreciated. Until I can see one with better quality than mine, this is a restortation that exceeded all my expections based on what I have seen up till now. Obviously, Dr. Gomer does good work, that's not in question. I just don't think he is better than every other artist that does this type work.

That tooth looks great Mike! Just remember"Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder" I'll check it out when I return your light.Ive never held a 6" + Meg before.

That tooth looks great Mike! Just remember"Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder" I'll check it out when I return your light.Ive never held a 6" + Meg before.

It's shipping from Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida today. Should have it no later than Wednesday.

I have sent an email to Dr Gomer along with some pics of my meg tooth. This tooth is mostly black but has green towards the serrations. I will find out if this is restorable and hopefully will have it restored if the cost is not too much.

Here is the tooth I am talking about

teeth003-1.jpg

teeth004-1.jpg

Here is a shot of the green color towards the serrations

teeth006-1.jpg

teeth007.jpg

I hope to hear back from him and see if this can be done. If so, I have a smaller meg tooth I found at the same spot and is almost identical in color and missing pieces.

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

I have a 5 1/2 Meg with the tip off how much dose restoration cost on something like that

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

I have a 5 1/2 Meg with the tip off how much dose restoration cost on something like that

Send me an e-mail to: mowens41usa@webtv.net. I'll tell you what you want to know. I make it a practice of not discussing business details on the board.

Mike

• 3 months later...

I realise that this thread has been down for a while, but as you are still active, how much did you pay for that repair, Mike? Restoration quality is always dependent on what you are willing to pay; he's doing some teeth for me at the moment, and has sent some incredible pictures of teeth during restoration. My 4 3/4" German meg, as yet unpainted.

post-1261-12598111827834_thumb.jpg

post-1261-12598111900843_thumb.jpg

post-1261-12598112050791_thumb.jpg

post-1261-125981121459_thumb.jpg

Yes, proper restoration of serrations is a skill finely-honed among just a few preppers. I've seen some poorly-done teeth from Morocco (cutting identations into the blade of a Otodus or Cretalamna in hopes of passing it off as Palaeocarcharodon) and I've seen some really nice work done on theropod teeth. Serrations are nubs of enamel that extend from the cutting edge and change shape at the base and toward the tip - rather uniform in between. It's the type of time-consuming work only a true artist has patience for.

I believe Paula Ott has done this work well in the past.

Yeah you can't tell. :P He does better work than anyone I've ever seen. How he matches up the materieals so well I don't know.

The average prepper can do the basic structure with two-part putty and match the texture, lining up and artificially extending natural cracks or imperfections. As noted previously in this thread, the real trick is restoring the serrations correctly. Bad or even mediocre serration work will be noticed as not looking right to a beginner. The other trick is matching paint to the natural color particularly if there is any blending of somewhat bright shades of different colors. As with the serration work, you need a good artist to pull that off.

Edited by siteseer

• 2 years later...

Hey Guys, Thought I would revive the thread since I had a few teeth restored recently by Dr. Gomer. One is a shammer of a Benedeni and the other is a meg which literally broke into two pieces as I picked it up off the bottom of the river. I hadn't ever had anything restored before, but thought I would see how these turned out. The lighting in the before and after pics is different which makes the before and after colors look a lot different even though they are not. The first post will be the benedeni and second the meg. The benedeni measure just over 2 1/2" while the meg just over 5".

The megalodon tooth. The first pics are just after I epoxied it back together and before the professional restoration. I let Dr. Gomer do the rest. I think it turned out very well!

post-4422-0-85678200-1329360166_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-56978100-1329360176_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-09775200-1329360180_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-28500000-1329360183_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-09767900-1329360187_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-78368200-1329360190_thumb.jpg