My 6 1/4" Meg

Mike Owens

What's something like that cost DeloiVarden? I have a meg that I'd like to get fixed.

Hey Rick, It all depends on the size of the tooth and the extint of restoration. A smaller tooth could be as little as $30 and a big tooth $60+. His website is http://drgomer.com/fp/lithicarts/. Just email him a front and back pic with slant length and he will send you a quote asap. He was always very prompt for me. Jason

Hey Rick, It all depends on the size of the tooth and the extint of restoration. A smaller tooth could be as little as $30 and a big tooth $60+. His website is http://drgomer.com/fp/lithicarts/. Just email him a front and back pic with slant length and he will send you a quote asap. He was always very prompt for me. Jason

Thanks. Well that's not what I expected. I was expecting such work to be in the hundreds. I thought about getting the missing chunk added to this meg.

ljlj-2.jpg

Edited by RickNC

If it's a sentimentally valuable meg, then maybe. Even then, after you've collected for a while, you might regret it. It's not going to increase the value though; at that size it wouldn't really be worth it.

If it's a sentimentally valuable meg, then maybe. Even then, after you've collected for a while, you might regret it. It's not going to increase the value though; at that size it wouldn't really be worth it.

I know that. There isn't anything special about it as far as megs go or to me really. But if it's generally inexpensive why not? I don't care about value as I don't sell any of my fossils.

An entire corner would probably run you higher than Deloi's repairs did. It probably wouldn't be that much more to just buy something natural. It may also be that after a while you begin to look for fossils that aren't repaired, and wish that you'd kept it natural. That was certainly the case with me. If, however, you're looking for a nice display piece and don't look at it as a financial investment, that tooth should repair out quite nicely. The enamel has lost its sheen, so it should be pretty easy to match it very accurately. If you're looking for a cheaper repair, try Matty Swilp, he does good work. Either way, good luck.

An entire corner would probably run you higher than Deloi's repairs did. It probably wouldn't be that much more to just buy something natural. It may also be that after a while you begin to look for fossils that aren't repaired, and wish that you'd kept it natural. That was certainly the case with me. If, however, you're looking for a nice display piece and don't look at it as a financial investment, that tooth should repair out quite nicely. The enamel has lost its sheen, so it should be pretty easy to match it very accurately. If you're looking for a cheaper repair, try Matty Swilp, he does good work. Either way, good luck.

I was given a quote of $65 to repair that tooth. It is a much nicer tooth than the pic shows and it is a very nice tooth for the particular location it was found in. I think spending $65 to make it whole is a pretty good deal. I don't care about fossil values or fossils as investments. I find them for my own enjoyment and I bust my butt to do so. I think this tooth is worth it to make whole.

Edited by RickNC

A german meg? Like it was really found in Germany? Or one you traded a guy in germany for? I didnt know there were any meg hunting locations in Germany.

DO, or do not. There is no try.

A german meg? Like it was really found in Germany? Or one you traded a guy in germany for? I didnt know there were any meg hunting locations in Germany.

Carcharocles auriculatus teeth are also found in Germany.

Thanks. Well that's not what I expected. I was expecting such work to be in the hundreds. I thought about getting the missing chunk added to this meg.

ljlj-2.jpg

Rick,

Most folks are not finding 5"+ teeth on a regular basis, so such a find can be a real treat whole or not. This is especially true of folks who don't dive on a regular basis and that don't sell fossils. They may only find one 5" tooth in a lifetime and thus the chances of that one tooth being whole is not good. If the tooth was personally found by you and you have no plans to sell it, then the question of whether or not to restore it has nothing to do with recovering the restoration cost (worth it). And since the value has more to do with it being a personal find, the question of whether a none restored tooth can be purchaced at a lower price is also not the point. In such a case, it has everything to do with making a personal find look a little bit better on display. There is very few, if any, dinosaur skelotons on display that don't have some restoration and so I don't think restored fossil shark teeth should be looked at any different. It is only when folks try to sell restored teeth as natural that you get into a problem. As long as the seller sells them with full disclosure then I think even selling them is just fine. I provide before and after pics in such cases, but don't sell restored stuff all that often. I usually like to leave it up to the buyer to decide if they would like it resotored. The reason there is a market for restored teeth is because it gives folks a chance to own a big tooth who may have not been able to afford one otherwise. No shame in that. So think about it and go for it. I don't think you could go wrong either way. I would suggest that you take before and after pics though for record keeping just in case you do ever get rid of it. And you are right, it is a nice tooth! There will always be better examples of a given fossil out there, but that should not detract from the value of a personal find. It is always going to be relative.

Edited by DeloiVarden

Rick,

Most folks are not finding 5"+ teeth on a regular basis, so such a find can be a real treat whole or not. This is especially true of folks who don't dive on a regular basis and that don't sell fossils. They may only find one 5" tooth in a lifetime and thus the chances of that one tooth being whole is not good. If the tooth was personally found by you and you have no plans to sell it, then the question of whether or not to restore it has nothing to do with recovering the restoration cost (worth it). And since the value has more to do with it being a personal find, the question of whether a none restored tooth can be purchaced at a lower price is also not the point. In such a case, it has everything to do with making a personal find look a little bit better on display. There is very few, if any, dinosaur skelotons on display that don't have some restoration and so I don't think restored fossil shark teeth should be looked at any different. It is only when folks try to sell restored teeth as natural that you get into a problem. As long as the seller sells them with full disclosure then I think even selling them is just fine. I provide before and after pics in such cases, but don't sell restored stuff all that often. I usually like to leave it up to the buyer to decide if they would like it resotored. The reason there is a market for restored teeth is because it gives folks a chance to own a big tooth who may have not been able to afford one otherwise. No shame in that. So think about it and go for it. I don't think you could go wrong either way. I would suggest that you take before and after pics though for record keeping just in case you do ever get rid of it. And you are right, it is a nice tooth! There will always be better examples of a given fossil out there, but that should not detract from the value of a personal find. It is always going to be relative.

Thanks and I agree. Value doesn't mean anything to me with these things. I doubt I have anything worth much. I am not concerned about lowering the value when the only value is that it is something I personally found. I often wish this tooth was whole, the cost isn't a concern so I see no reason to have it fixed. It's not like half the tooth is missing. I can't see ever selling it since I know it isn't worth much restored or otherwise. It is as you said, my desire to make it look a little better. Surprised some people want to debate it at all.

Edited by RickNC

Thanks and I agree. Value doesn't mean anything to me with these things. I doubt I have anything worth much. I am not concerned about lowering the value when the only value is that it is something I personally found. I often wish this tooth was whole, the cost isn't a concern so I see no reason to have it fixed. It's not like half the tooth is missing. I can't see ever selling it since I know it isn't worth much restored or otherwise. It is as you said, my desire to make it look a little better. Surprised some people want to debate it at all.

I don't think that anyone is trying to argue one way over the other, just lay out the options. If you want to see it whole, can afford the cost, won't regret it down the line, and aren't looking to make your money back, then go for it.

It was a construction site find from Hamburg in the early 90's.

I don't think that anyone is trying to argue one way over the other, just lay out the options. If you want to see it whole, can afford the cost, won't regret it down the line, and aren't looking to make your money back, then go for it.

None apply here.

Rick for $65, and making that meg whole, its a no brainer to me. GMR does not give up many big megs, especially in really good shape. You have seen my 4 3/4 and both of Mikes, rare specimans from GMR. I say go for it, it will make a great display piece for your collection.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

These are before & after photos. I haven't recieved it back, yet. I will take photos when I do. I hope to get some sharper shots to post. From what I can see, the restoration is fantastic. This was done by Kelly Kennedy, owner & artist of Kennedyrestortations.com (Florida). My son, Victor, took two of my grand daughters to see their Texas grandpa's shark's tooth. He called me last night & was really impressed at the quality of the work. He's an amaturer artist himself & knows good work when he sees it. He, also loved Kelly's scrimscraw(sp?) work.

Mike

And Mike, as long as you are satisfied, it really does not matter what anyone else thinks.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

And Mike, as long as you are satisfied, it really does not matter what anyone else thinks.

B)

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past