Latest Lower Carboniferous/ Mississippian shark finds

Archie

I've finally managed to get the crusher prepped and I'm really pleased with how its turned out! I took some pics throughout the prep process to show what I do if a tooth breaks as it splits out. 

First I dig the tooth out of one half of the split:

IMGP6321.jpg

Then I cut a squared out block around the tooth for display (if the block is too big)  and start reducing the matrix enclosing around the tooth with a grinding tool till I hit tooth:

IMGP6323.jpg

IMGP6324.jpg

IMGP6325.jpg

IMGP6326.jpg

Then I use a pin and acetic acid to remove the rest of the matrix and finish it off :) I'm not sure exactly what to label this tooth as, it has a morphology that in the past has been labeled as Streblodus/Deltoptychius oblongus, and more recently Cochliodus contortus but I think these have now been moved to Psephodus magnus. One way or another its a tooth I've always wanted on matrix and I'm really happy its my final find of 2017! 

IMGP6333.jpg

Nice work... (a lot of work, I guess)

You mentioned jellyfish at that site... have you ever found any, or are they too rare?

I haven't found any at this site but a friend has found a few, he has a particularly nice one with a very rare complete trilobite on the same block! I'll get some pic's. I have found one in the same formation at another locality, its on the same block as a tooth and I had no idea it was there till after I'd cleaned up the tooth. Its really just a faint circle with radiating lines, better preserved examples sometimes have four little blobs in the centre which I'm told are the gonads! They are still being researched and no papers have been published yet as far as I'm aware.

IMGP5826.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Here's a much better one I found online from Trearne that shows a sort of mineral staining as well as impression. Apparently its proposed name is Inargillajactamedusa pluvensobscura, which is amazing :D

file.jpg

On 31/12/2017 at 5:46 AM, ynot said:

Nice prep on that tooth, quite a job well done!

Nice collection of teeth You got there!

Thanks Tony! :D

On 31/12/2017 at 10:39 AM, nala said:

Stunning finds! thanks to share!

Thanks nala! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I got out for a quick trip yesterday in my own hometown to a spoil heap of freshwater limestone (Burdiehouse Limestone Formation) at the former site of a huge oil shale works now long derelict and completely covered in woodland. My hunting buddy and I both got lucky and found some teeth, I got a couple of Ageleodus pectinatus that were just sitting on the surface and my friend found a weird little tooth that might be some sort of Venustodus sp. 

IMGP6351.jpg

IMGP6354.jpg

On 15/01/2018 at 11:12 PM, ynot said:

Those early shark teeth looks so neat!:envy:

Thanks Tony! :D 

5 hours ago, Carl said:

MORE MORE MORE!!!

Got a couple more to prep and post shortly Carl!

Simply amazing finds, Archie. One of my favorite threads to open up. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

1 hour ago, fossilized6s said:

Simply amazing finds, Archie. One of my favorite threads to open up. 

Thank you glad you like them! :) 

Sam

Another Ageleodus from Sunday just cleaned up with vinegar, note the tiny (0.75mm) overlying fish tooth. 

IMGP6359.jpg

I havent been able to ID this little tooth but I do recognise it from a jaw I found a few years ago in the same formation, the teeth seem to have a little translucent crown. I'm currently thinking a juvenile rhizodont of some sort but any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

IMGP5689.jpg

IMGP5690.jpg

Wow, Sam!
Great finds, once again.  :) 

I would agree with Rhizodont jaw. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Wow, Sam!
Great finds, once again.  :) 

I would agree with Rhizodont jaw. 

Regards,

Cheers Tim! :D 

Thanks for the confirmation!

5 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Wow! :wub: :drool: 

Have you ever tried acid etching blocks of limestone to see if anything emerges?

Don

Thanks Don! :) 

I've actually only ever done it with blocks from this particular site and so far its turned up lots of scales and bone but I'm still waiting on a tooth! Took a few more blocks home this time to process so here's hoping! :fingerscrossed: 

Sam