Latest Lower Carboniferous/ Mississippian shark finds

Archie

4 minutes ago, JimB88 said:

Wow! Awesome teeth! I continue to be amazed at the variety of shark like fish in Scotland! And the associated cidaris plates are a very rare find from my experience (with a spine no less!) The little crinoid is a gem too! Awesome finds!

Thanks Jim! :D 

Ive only ever seen one other partial archaeocidaris in this bed which was sadly on way too big a block to collect so they must be rare!

• I found this Informative 1

Another strange tooth I picked up that hunt that I'm not sure what to put on the label! Its Helodus like in shape but has a very different ornamentation on the crown and is a bit too big, it may be a Psephodus tooth from an anterior position in the jaw.

IMGP6689.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

And my favorite find of the day, definitely my favorite marine crushing type tooth and one Ive been after for a long time, a lovely 14mm Deltoptychius armigerus :D this is one of the few Holocephans of which complete articulated specimens have been found in Scotland, so its interesting to see for a rough idea of what others may have looked like. 

IMGP6684.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

:blink:  :envy:  :drool:  

Congratulations, Sam!

AWESOME teeth!  :wub: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 1 month later...

Got a backlog of stuff from the past few weeks hunting to post pending a bit of prep but wanted to post this little 5mm x 5.5mm Cladodus mirabilis I found yesterday, its only the second tooth of this species I've found so really pleased :D 

IMGP6759.JPG

IMGP6760.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

Also picked up what I believe is only my second ever Conulariid after finding my first just a few weeks ago, which although crushed and partial I was really pleased with too! I'm actually worried I've found and tossed complete ones aside in the past thinking they were partial scallop valves, but hopefully they were actually just that as they certainly didn't have the same glossy lustre as this! 1.5cm across.

IMGP6761.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

6 minutes ago, Bullsnake said:

:wub: Wonderful!

How did you photograph that?

Thanks! :D 

Its pretty gloomy here just now so shone a light on it while getting a pic with the camera (Pentax WGIII), I'd like a pic in full sun but could be waiting a while! 

The conulariid is a great find (as is the Cladodus of course!) - the UK Carboniferous ones usually seem to be Paraconularia quadrisulcata (Sowerby) which I think fits that one. I have a few from just one location, haven't found one for ages though.

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

This is such a fascinating thread.

Unusual to see many of these species, some I have never even heard of before. 

As well as some of the teeth I adore the crioids, brachiopods, echinoids and the jellyfish with the best name ever! :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 hours ago, TqB said:

The conulariid is a great find (as is the Cladodus of course!) - the UK Carboniferous ones usually seem to be Paraconularia quadrisulcata (Sowerby) which I think fits that one. I have a few from just one location, haven't found one for ages though.

Thanks Tarquin :D 

That's brilliant thanks for that I was having trouble finding any info at all on them!  The other I recently found is also in quite a sorry state but its slightly more complete. Its a pity they are so rare as they are fascinating! Trearne quarry in Aryshire is meant to be quite good for them. 

IMGP6739.JPG

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

This is such a fascinating thread.

Unusual to see many of these species, some I have never even heard of before. 

As well as some of the teeth I adore the crioids, brachiopods, echinoids and the jellyfish with the best name ever! :wub:

Thank you really glad you like it! :) 

As much as I do love the teeth the invertebrates make a days hunting infinitely more interesting and filled with beauty than it would be without them and I'll always have a soft spot for them! I'll post more from this bed shortly!

That deltop. Is in really great condition. They seem to be more common over here on this side of the pond. I have a handful of them that I’ve found.

9 hours ago, Archie said:

Thanks Tarquin :D 

That's brilliant thanks for that I was having trouble finding any info at all on them!  The other I recently found is also in quite a sorry state but its slightly more complete. Its a pity they are so rare as they are fascinating! Trearne quarry in Aryshire is meant to be quite good for them. 

Nice preservation of the material though - the fine structure of the rods is important for ID.

Consuela Sendino's 2007 Ph. D thesis, Revisión de la colección de Conulariidae de The Natural History Museum de Londres is in Spanish but has a lot of plates (33-35 are P. quadrisulcata).

Available here: https://www.europeana.eu/portal/en/record/9200101/BibliographicResource_1000126631062.html

And here's a nice plate from Slater 1907 A monograph of British Conulariae. Nos. 2-6 are P. quadrisulcata.

IMG_3286.thumb.jpeg.f15002d005c0caa1519ca2029dc5130e.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

12 hours ago, Archie said:

IMGP6739.JPG

This one is a beauty - wow!!!  I still haven't found my first conulariid - maybe next summer... :fingerscrossed:

Congratulations on the fantastic finds!!!

Sam, 

More great finds for you!  :) 

Congratulations!

Good photography too, despite the gloom. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

10 hours ago, TNCollector said:

That deltop. Is in really great condition. They seem to be more common over here on this side of the pond. I have a handful of them that I’ve found.

Thanks Jim! I'd love to see your specimens! Have you posted them on TFF? My girlfriend got a photo for me of a complete specimen in the Hunterian Museum in Glasgow from the same site as the famous Bearsden Shark I'll need to post.

7 hours ago, TqB said:

Nice preservation of the material though - the fine structure of the rods is important for ID.

Consuela Sendino's 2007 Ph. D thesis, Revisión de la colección de Conulariidae de The Natural History Museum de Londres is in Spanish but has a lot of plates (33-35 are P. quadrisulcata).

Available here: https://www.europeana.eu/portal/en/record/9200101/BibliographicResource_1000126631062.html

And here's a nice plate from Slater 1907 A monograph of British Conulariae. Nos. 2-6 are P. quadrisulcata.

IMG_3286.thumb.jpeg.f15002d005c0caa1519ca2029dc5130e.jpeg

Fantastic Tarquin thank you, what a beautiful plate!

7 hours ago, Monica said:

This one is a beauty - wow!!!  I still haven't found my first conulariid - maybe next summer... :fingerscrossed:

Congratulations on the fantastic finds!!!

Thank you! Good luck its surely just a matter of time!:fingerscrossed:

7 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Archie,that conulariid is an awesome find! 

Thank you! 

4 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Sam, 

More great finds for you!  :) 

Congratulations!

Good photography too, despite the gloom. ;) 

Thank you Tim! :D 

2 hours ago, Carl said:

Sheesh! I want to collect with you so badly!

If you ever feel like a trip to Scotland I'd love to show you the sites Carl! 

Some articulated crinoid arms, sadly missing the calyx but still a super rare occurrence in this bed! 60mm x 43mm.

IMGP6774.JPG