I think I've found fossils of insects

fossilfuel1988

Hi there 

I believe I've found fossils of giant insects in a nearby mountain side area. After research on the area the fossil record is excellent for giant cockroach wings and other insects from the Permian period. Is there anyone who could please help? Thanks here are a few examples of what look like wings 

IMG-20240426-WA0021.jpeg

IMG-20240426-WA0023.jpeg

IMG-20240426-WA0019.jpeg

IMG-20240426-WA0009.jpeg

IMG-20240425-WA0005.jpeg

IMG-20240425-WA0007.jpeg

Pictures are a bit blurry, but I am not seeing any insect fossils.  :unsure:

Sorry. 

• I Agree 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm pretty sure this is actually shed layers of lycopsid cortex. I want to call it discorciated, but I'm having trouble verifying the term. The stuff is extremely common in some Carboniferous deposits. 

I don’t see anything that looks like an insect either.  Maybe you could circle on the picture what you think might be an insect wing?

Unless you mean the entire rock? That is a bit too large to be an insect wing, especially the giant cockroach you mentioned.

This record may have been broken, but the largest complete giant cockroach specimen found, that I know of, was only about 3.5 inches long. 

https://news.osu.edu/largest-fossil-cockroach-found-site-preserves-incredible-detail/

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

11 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I want to call it discorciated, but I'm having trouble verifying the term.

Decorticated.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

This is how a carboniferous cockroach would look like:  just an impression on a rock.

image.jpeg.aee67e09a6c010316202fb88b88eb7c2.jpeg

Edited by oilshale
  • I found this Informative 5

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Thanks for getting back to me, I have a few more good examples, the wing is the entire specimen but I believe that to be a single meganeura wing or similar. I also have more to follow............how rare are full bodied petrified arthropods? Or are you stating the only fossils of the creatures are imprints?

IMG-20240429-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20240429-WA0016.jpeg

IMG_20240429_034918.jpg

Ooh yeah and I'll post some follow up pics of the items I suspect to be large wings from a dragon fly like insect of large proportion but I am open to suggestions 

:popcorn: Wing impressions are rare enough for there to be extraordinary evidence required. 

The shape on the far right?  You might need more to rule out Cyperites. 

Ok do you need the same species,something different or more exposure of the same sample

The native mites have even been making mimick versions of the cockroach

IMG-20240429-WA0007.jpeg

Sorry, but so far I've seen absolutely no evidence of insect fossils. Just patterns that would lead one to think otherwise.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

1 hour ago, fossilfuel1988 said:

How about a huge coprolite

I've seen a similar texture in entire boulders that must have challenged the biggest bulldozers on coal shale dumps.  

Google "cockroach wings" and click on images. I would expect to see that kind of venation and specifically that pattern,  as it is the same on all members of the same species, in at least some portions of the specimen to call it a wing. Without venation it is known as "rock".

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I have more examples of other species I believe, must've been a hot spot for the giant creepy crawlies. I am however more than happy to stay with this specimen 

So far nothing You have posted remotely resembles an insect wing of any type. The venations present in insect wings is not there.

Most of the material is way too large, even for the giant insects of the Permian.

• I Agree 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 minutes ago, fossilfuel1988 said:

I have more examples of other species I believe, must've been a hot spot for the giant creepy crawlies

You are obviously not taking the opinions of the other members here seriously who have responded to your assumptions, so I see no point in continuing this discussion.

• I Agree 2

Your giving information and are unable to deal with the response I am giving based on the evidence Infront of me, new species are discovered all the time especially when the fossil record is so poor, I can understand you being upset that the books and records you rely on change. How am I not taking you seriously if the information you are providing is simply leading towards a petrified arthropod. Surely the prospect excites you?

I will clean the rest of the debris from the item and post the results. Perhaps we can go from there? 

This is what we like to see in fossil insect wings.  ynot mentioned veination a few posts up... this is it, and it is not there.   On your last picture (the reverse side) there might be an impression of a large plant on the bottom left edge; just to the right of the base of your thumb.  But no insect wings,sorry.   

dragonflyveination.jpg.cf7d7f4d594e00e40b4b29391a51418f.jpg

12 minutes ago, fossilfuel1988 said:

Your giving information and are unable to deal with the response I am giving based on the evidence Infront of me, new species are discovered all the time especially when the fossil record is so poor, I can understand you being upset that the books and records you rely on change. How am I not taking you seriously if the information you are providing is simply leading towards a petrified arthropod. Surely the prospect excites you?

I will clean the rest of the debris from the item and post the results. Perhaps we can go from there? 

You are completely out of the ballpark with these statements. Bye bye.