Mystery Fossil Fish Positive and Negative

Goniatite Hoarder

This Here is a recent Fossil Fish positive and negative concretion halves that i purchased from a friend who only "thought" that the specimen(s) are from the Santana Formation Brazil.

I am hoping to get help identifying this species and establishing value for two reasons, #1 to find out how much i may owe my buddy in case is more than i gave him

#2   Will help me figure out how much to spend on displaying these haha!

As for the dimensions, 

Matrix is 8 1/2 on the bottom piece. Matrix is rounded on the top fitting side (Negative half)

Matrix appears to be extremely mineralized, having black colored quartz, as well as white and pale beige. There is an odd section between a vertebrae that has red crystalline cluster that reminds me of Vanadanite, as far as the structure and color goes. I am not interested in the minerals in value only stating as pretext for assisting with locality of origin of the fossil.

Looks like limestone mixed with a mega hard sandstone.   I appreciate all help in identifying this species... i have spent three weeks on my own trying and i just cannot catch a break! 

Look forward to help and welcome to other comparing and showing their specimens.

Happy to finally have a second thread to start on here at TFF

Apologies for picture quality, i am hoping to get a new camera for Christmas (lol)

Fossil Fish i bought 2.JPG

Fossil Fish i bought 3.JPG

Fossil Fish i bought.JPG

Welcome to TFF!

Appraisals are not allowed as per the Fossil Forum's rules.

They do look like brazilian fish, others here can be more specific about it.

Then You can look at sales sites to get an idea of value.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Oh thats fine then! I can do the appraisal myself.   

I am more interested in learning more about this fish! And i will greatly appreciate anybody's help in Identifying this fantastic set.

Thank you for letting me know about the appraisal rule, i am truly new so again thank you.

Hello, and welcome to the Forum. :)

Your fish looks like a Tharrias araripis from the Cretaceous Santana Formation of Brazil. 

The fins and tail have been "Shaped" to make it look more complete. 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 9 months later...

thank you Fossildude19 you were entirely correct thank you for your help i truly appreciate it

if i have another Brazilian fossil fish i need help identifying would you be willing to take a look?

Thank you again so much-

Sincerely,

Tom

On 10/7/2018 at 7:57 AM, Goniatite Hoarder said:

thank you Fossildude19 you were entirely correct thank you for your help i truly appreciate it

if i have another Brazilian fossil fish i need help identifying would you be willing to take a look?

Thank you again so much-

Sincerely,

Tom

I'd be happy to have a look. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me