Eocene cyclolitid coral: help with mineralisation

pierrette

Hello!

I would need help to figure out if this special type of calcite mineralisation reflects the structure of the coral or it is just something that comes with de disolution of calcite and therefore would not be a source of info on the coral morphology.

Thank you in advance

Best wishes

Pierrette

P1260977b.JPG

Pierrette

I would say that the calcite has done a poor job of replacing the coral, so there is little left of the original structure of the coral.

Most likely the coral had deteriorated somewhat before the mineralization started.

• I found this Informative 3

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you ynot. I suspected it was something like this, but I had to be sure. I usually come across that sort of mineralization  in specimens from a certain area only. 

Pierrette

Hi!

I would like to thank you again for your help. Once I was sure I would not destroy any possible clues about epithecal structure, I polished the base of the coral. Now I have two views of the septal arrangement: a polished section from the top of the calicinal surface and another from the bottom. The piece is now 1 mm thick. I just wanted to show it to you. Beauty is hidden most of the time. Well, and it's also so subjective! This is beautiful for me. 

Best wishes, 

Pierrette

base_view_septa.JPG

Pierrette

2 minutes ago, pierrette said:

Hi!

I would like to thank you again for your help. Once I was sure I would not destroy any possible clues about epithecal structure, I polished the base of the coral. Now I have two views of the septal arrangement: a polished section from the top of the calicinal surface and another from the bottom. The piece is now 1 mm thick. I just wanted to show it to you. Beauty is hidden most of the time. Well, and it's also so subjective! This is beautiful for me. 

Best wishes, 

Pierrette

Looks nice.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So, to find true beauty seek out an apiarist (beekeeper) and ask Them.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

4 minutes ago, ynot said:

Looks nice.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So, to find true beauty seek out an apiarist (beekeeper) and ask Them.

Cryptic words of wisdom. I guess I got it, though. 

Pierrette

1 minute ago, ynot said:

A bad joke.:rofl:

I'm glad New Year has put you in such a  good mood. Hope it goes on like this the rest of the 364 days to go. 

Pierrette