Alopias latidens?

Miocene_Mason

I found this tooth at brownies, I think alopias latidens, what say y’all? It’s got a worn cusp which is cool if it is a thresher. Around a centimeter, quarter for scale (I know that’s not ideal)

FFC44287-79F0-4B7F-A008-08AEBAF79AE8.jpeg

B3BD972B-9516-4933-A392-B590D9CE8A0B.jpeg

507D499C-9FBB-4307-A374-8326995AE920.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

quarter for scale (I know that’s not ideal)

Better than nothing at all.

Can We see a side view of the tooth?

@Al Dente, @MarcoSr, @siteseer, @sixgill pete

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

23 minutes ago, ynot said:

Can We see a side view of the tooth?

This is the best I could get for the time being, I’ll see if I can get some better ones

5D152DB5-C429-416A-81E8-8214625E1DCA.png

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Alopias supercillosus

Oh, I don’t know the difference between the two species teeth, how do you determine this? 

Happy hunting,

Mason

I always thought the Calvert by brownies it was A.supercilious.  Now if you go to Kent's description those have a deep nutrient groove and the others are A. latidens.  If you're starting to collect at Brownies try getting a copy of his book Fossils of the Chesapeake Bay Region pretty informative.   Let's see what the experts say.

• I found this Informative 2

11 minutes ago, Troodon said:

If you're starting to collect at Brownies try getting a copy of his book Fossils of the Chesapeake Bay Region pretty informative.

I’ll See if I can get a copy of that somewhere cheap, thanks for telling me.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Looks like Alopias latidens to me based upon no nutrient grove and the enameloid extending well out onto the root lobes.  A. superciliosus are rare from the Calvert Formation.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png