Information on Fossil Fern purchase?

Vertebrate

Can't help with the initial question but when checking the seller's offerings I just had to spontaneously buy a fern fossil as it looked so amazing and the price seemed also very ok! I've never bought a plant fossil before but also never seen a Carboniferous fossil which looked so well preserved and colorful to me. Oddly I can't find any of these anywhere else on the web and hardly any information about the locality. Does anyone have any information about the locality or the formation? Greetings from Germany

fern2.jpg

fern1.jpg

descr.jpg

What sort of information? It does say in the description that it was found in the Cantabrian Mountains in Spain. Neuropteris ovata is found in a few other locations as well. 

The specimen likely will have come from Leon, Spain. The Stephanian B stage correlates with the Kasimovian stage (Pennsylvanian) in North America. 

Searching for this species on Google reveals a large number of entries, as it is a fairly common and well known Carboniferous seed fern.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Did the seller not give you any information in the sales ad?

Did it just read "Old plant fossil, here's some pictures".

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

At first sorry for posting in the wrong subforum. Yes, Google reveals a number of entries of this species but all I found were from different locations except specimen sold by the same seller. I was particularly surprised as it seemed an exceptional preservation and appearance to me and usually locations which produce such fossils are well known, like for example the Santana formation in Brasil. I could hardly find anything about Carboniferous fossils at described location. But then I have no clue about plant fossils and so thought maybe I just missed something (or maybe the preservation isn’t that special). Kane, that is already some information I was searching for as „Stephanien“ was also new to me. Thanks!

nice looking specimen

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

As Kane mentioned, this specimen is from the Cantabrian Mountains of Spain. 

The localities marked in orange on the attached map are Stephanian B floras.

text and map from:

Wagner, R.H., & Álvarez-Vázquez, C. (2010)

The Carboniferous floras of the Iberian Peninsula: a synthesis with geological connotations.

Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 162(3):239-324

"Large numbers of well preserved “Saberian” floral remains, adding up to tens of thousands of specimens, were collected from the Sabero, Ciñera–Matallana, La Magdalena, El Bierzo, and Puerto Ventana coalfields in northern León, as well as from small outliers in the Canseco–Rucayo strip."

IMG.jpg.b546146c925334b807e7ce5909ac9a83.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png