Mazon creek opening weekend

TheRocksWillShoutHisGlory

Made it out to Mazonia for the opening day this year, and it was the first time I ever filled a bucket.  Went back with my 4 and 5 year old and they found another 20 concretions themselves.

A little chilly the first day but it kept the bugs dormant, great weather on the return trip.  

We got a nice open Alethopteris half as well.

20240301_152617.thumb.jpg.5f33a9fea769617561b76121b9c9c9c5.jpg20240301_152813.thumb.jpg.8694987bb80e9c43073a4b6851d21cdc.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 15

Great finds! Excited to get back out there fairly soon

Alright.  Tips for newbies?  We went out today and found just one (super nice horsetail) and not much more.  We hunted just south of fossil parking area #3 and was a bit confused to the open field north of the fossil hunting parking #3 sign.  Oh and ticks are out too!IMG_20240302_164132.thumb.jpg.8fc4be6a6ac74e74736a633a7504314e.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

Gorgeous finds, looks like a successful hunt!

• I Agree 1

Beautiful Alethopteris! Would have been nice to have both halves.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

19 hours ago, HOaks said:

Alright.  Tips for newbies?  We went out today and found just one (super nice horsetail) and not much more.  We hunted just south of fossil parking area #3 and was a bit confused to the open field north of the fossil hunting parking #3 sign.  Oh and ticks are out too!

You probably didn't get far away enough from the parking lot. Go for at least 3/4 of a mile. If you can stand upright you're not in far enough.

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

23 hours ago, TheRocksWillShoutHisGlory said:

Made it out to Mazonia for the opening day this year, and it was the first time I ever filled a bucket.  Went back with my 4 and 5 year old and they found another 20 concretions themselves.

A little chilly the first day but it kept the bugs dormant, great weather on the return trip.  

Nice finds! I was out there on Friday myself. I put in a shorter day than usual as I wasn’t feeling fully well, but I was thankfully able to gather a decent number of nicely-shaped concretions before I took off. 

IMG_4143.thumb.jpeg.abaccf3f8281054a60a23877740ad076.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

22 hours ago, HOaks said:

Alright.  Tips for newbies?  We went out today and found just one (super nice horsetail) and not much more.  We hunted just south of fossil parking area #3 and was a bit confused to the open field north of the fossil hunting parking #3 sign.  Oh and ticks are out too!IMG_20240302_164132.thumb.jpg.8fc4be6a6ac74e74736a633a7504314e.jpg

The numbered fossil hunting signs were new to me this year, I’m not sure when they installed them and I don’t know if the numbers are linked to anything in particular. I do appreciate their addition though, the one old fossil hunting sign they had was for that open field, which used to be tilled to bring up fresh fossils, but I don’t think that has been done for many many years now.

As @Mark Kmiecik said, you will need to get off the path in some of the hillier and more brush-covered areas to have much luck. I can send you some general locations in a private message. 

I’m sorry to hear about the ticks, I was there on Friday and didn’t encounter any, but as the temperatures rise I am sure we will see more of them. From my experience, the area where you were hunting has a tendency to have more ticks for whatever reason.

Hey that would be RAD!  It's always a fun thing to hunt around.  We did find some, mostly I did but I also hunkered down on the side of a hill and spent a lot of time looking.  Any clues what the top one in pick might be?  The horsetail is super cool and only thing we've found in two trips.  Thanks much! 

Long time reader, first time poster. I made it out today and collected with my family south of Eagle Lake. We collected a couple dozen unopened concretions and a bunch of open ones, a few of which look interesting. #2 doesn’t appear to be from a concretion and looks more like some burrow traces or crinoid stems. #4 and #5 seem to resemble petrified wood.

Another concretion from a trip last year finally popped open and had a shiny/pyrite-y looking imprint.

IMG_5878.jpeg

IMG_5881.jpeg

IMG_5880.jpeg

IMG_5884.jpeg

IMG_5882.jpeg

IMG_5883.jpeg

IMG_5769.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

Correction, #5 and #6 resemble petrified wood. Another closer pic of #5.

IMG_5879.jpeg

Number 3 might be a coprolite, I can’t say I see any definite fossils in the other ones. (Other than 2, which as you suggested is not from the Francis Creek Shale, but from a different deposit of some sort).

On 3/2/2024 at 4:09 PM, TheRocksWillShoutHisGlory said:

20240301_152617.thumb.jpg.5f33a9fea769617561b76121b9c9c9c5.jpg20240301_152813.thumb.jpg.8694987bb80e9c43073a4b6851d21cdc.jpg

Love the Alethopteris !!  Nice find !!

4 hours ago, deutscheben said:

The numbered fossil hunting signs were new to me this year, I’m not sure when they installed them and I don’t know if the numbers are linked to anything in particular. I do appreciate their addition though, the one old fossil hunting sign they had was for that open field, which used to be tilled to bring up fresh fossils, but I don’t think that has been done for many many years now.

As @Mark Kmiecik said, you will need to get off the path in some of the hillier and more brush-covered areas to have much luck. I can send you some general locations in a private message. 

I’m sorry to hear about the ticks, I was there on Friday and didn’t encounter any, but as the temperatures rise I am sure we will see more of them. From my experience, the area where you were hunting has a tendency to have more ticks for whatever reason.

The numbers correspond to numbers on a map you can print out with your permit.

• I found this Informative 1