Recent acquisitions...new pics

Arizona Rex

Here are some new pictures of fossil number two from an earlier post.  I posted this piece a few days ago.  I'm hoping new pictures may help further the identification as either a ceratops horn core or piece of ankylosaur armor.  If it's horn core I'm curious, is it possible it's not nose horn core but maybe a side of the face horn from a variety of ceratops?  If ankylosaur armor, would this be called a spike or a scute?  Thank you again for any and all assistance.

b.JPG

IMG_1590.JPG

IMG_1591.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1603.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_1614.JPG

Hello RyanDye,  I've got my fingers crossed - either would be very cool. :)  As per my acquaintance, this was originally labeled as a ceratopsian horn core, possibly nose horn core.

It will very much depend on whether or not there are enough diagnostic details to make that determination, as opposed to being just another "chunkasaurus." I'll tag @Troodon on this. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Can you provide views like the top one of all the sides.  The closeup ones don't help.  Need full views.  This is Hell Creek Fm.

Looks similar to this horn core from Kem Kem I have, but only much more dense in structure. So I think horn core seems right.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

33 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

horn core from Kem Kem

Can you explain what this is for me, I haven’t a clue. Horned creatures in the Kem Kem?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

26 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Can you explain what this is for me, I haven’t a clue. Horned creatures in the Kem Kem?

None known as of yet. But everyone I've spoken to agrees that this is a horn core. I made some threads about it in the past that can probably be found somewhere on my profile if you're interested.

But I don't want to hijack this thread. I just posted it here as example of similar structure. Meaning I would agree that the piece Arizona Rex posted does look like a horn.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

2 hours ago, Arizona Rex said:

Here are a few more pictures - thank you for your time and help :)

Hate to ask but really need one of the base...thanks for these.  Locality?  Hell Creek

Here's a picture of the base. This is the same picture from the original post on Monday, not new like the pictures above.  Yes, to my understanding this piece did come from the Hell Creek formation.  Thank you again for your time, and help. :) 

1a.jpg

Thanks for reposting this specimen.  Your new pictures showed me more detailed veining that I did not see on your initial batch and the circular base through me off since most nasal horns I've seen are elongated but infant ones can take more round shape from my searches.   Where I come out is that this is a nasal horn from a Triceratops most likely T.  horridus.   See picture of baby T. horridus..  I will however send your photos to a couple of folks and see what they have to say to either confirm or come up with alternatives .  Nice pickup

9327199602_44de6061ea_b.thumb.jpg.7bd51399b9d725094156d1ace291652b.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Hello Troodon,  Please accept my sincere gratitude for your time and efforts to help identify this piece...it means a lot to me, a newbie/novice in the field.  I'm also excited to see what your friends have to say.  Thanks again brother Arizonan!!