Ankylosaur Tail Club Question

ThickHead808

Hello,

Im not sure this is the right place to put this but I came across this on a website that I've seen members say is reputable, if not overpriced. The thing I found interesting is that the site claims this ankylosaur tail club has a cutting edge, which is the straight side of the fossil in the pic. Is that a real thing? I've been following dinosaur news since I was a kid and I never heard of ankylosaur tail clubs having an axe-blade like this one, just the smashing club. Or if they do, which species has this? I wish I could afford this but for now I just have a head spike. 

ankyoutside-MAIN-006_048c292c-0ae5-4c8b-84b7-e6602b112021_1200x.jpg

105AC231121-MAIN-005_bfa46a7c-6211-4b0e-8f25-5321c0e4a1c1_1200x.jpg

105AC231121-MAIN-001_1024x1024.jpg

Questions and Answers would likely get this the most visibility.  Is it possible? Sure but we'd need some of the experts to weigh in. I would expect the groove to be there though so that is a good sign (looks like it could be one of the top or bottom pieces in figure C) the rest of the shape seems off but that could be due to time. The "cutting edge" I assume is a typo and due to the shape from wear/tear.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Distal-tail-section-of-Ankylosaurus-magniventris-AMNH-5214-showing-development-of-the_fig10_237169223

Edited by FB003

*Frank*

are these the photos that the seller has up?  Really hard to see what this is based on these pix.  I agree with FB003...."cutting edge"?   

I haven't heard anything about ankylosaur clubs having "cutting edges." I think this is another reminder that even "reputable stores" can get things wrong (like those morrison formation "corprolites" that that the same store is selling). 

Edited by JBkansas

Got it thank you. Will move this to that forum when I figure out how. 

And yes the seller states that the straight edge is an axe-blade type cutting edge. Seems weird to me but Im keeping an open mind. 

Here are more pics from the site

ankyoutside-MAIN-003_1200x.jpg

105AC231121-MAIN-004_1200x.jpg

105AC231121-MAIN-002_1200x.jpg

Edited by ThickHead808
Delete link and add pics
  • Thank You 1

Just now, ThickHead808 said:

And yes the seller states that the straight edge is an axe-blade type cutting edge. Seems weird to me but Im keeping an open mind. 

Here is the link with the full text and pictures. I am not promoting the item, simply posting the link to more easily and properly show the info stated.

No links to the seller please.

Edited by JBkansas
  • Thank You 1

Topic should stay right here, under  IS IT REAL. ...

Only mods and Admins can move topics. ;)

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, ThickHead808 said:

Here are more pics from the site

ankyoutside-MAIN-003_1200x.jpg

105AC231121-MAIN-004_1200x.jpg

105AC231121-MAIN-002_1200x.jpg

I mean the first new picture does sort of look like it could be part of the club shown in FIgure C from the link before. I'm not familiar enough though to be positive of that. The whole cutting edge axe thing is still throwing me off. Honestly I would ask them why they are calling a club an axe and what anklyosaurid they are referring to if it has an axe tail.  Might simply be a rookie mistake from someone new to the business or maybe they have a perfectly valid reason we don't know about that they can provide.

*Frank*

They are purporting that this is one of the major osteoderms of a club? I'm a little skeptical of that. The texture in the first image is quite different from the clubs I've seen.

They are saying there is a cutting edge.  I am not seeing anything that I would call such.  I see a broken edge, but cutting?... not seeing it.  And I have never heard of a cutting edge on ankylosaur clubs.  The dealer should be able to point you to a photo/drawing of an ankylosaur club and say.... "it is this part here".  

Edited by jpc
  • I Agree 1