RCW3D

Potomac - Aquia Formation 3/15/18

RCW3D

I was able to head to the Paleocene area of the Potomac for a few of hours today, glad I did. I was heading to work, I was quite shocked to see the water was already extremely low even though low tide was supposed to be 6 hours later, I confirmed the tides when I got to work...a strong west wind had pushed the water out and I was set to have some prime time beach time with extra low tides. By the time I was able to slip out of work, I made it to the river about 2 hours before low tide...the water was already lower than I had ever seen it before; this is when I realized that I had too much of a good thing! I kept zigzagging back and forth between the waterline and the old waterline. I finally gave up the zigzag approach and decided to walk the waterline going and the old waterline coming back. The finds were less than what I was expecting but I'm not complaining either, I wish I cold have spent a few more hours out there. My trip maker was my second ever Paleocarcharodon orientalis, worn and much smaller than my first one, I almost discounted it when I originally spied it because I thought it was a broken tooth. A little voice inside my head told me to check it out and I was pleasantly surprised when I picked it up.

Total haul.

3.thumb.jpg.f9ebfa9516494c5ef8928fe9cb9a57c4.jpg

Paleocarcharodon orientalis  and Otodus obliquus

2.jpg.252b59cd08a25121c4305a88f9b231c7.jpg

Close up of the Paleocarcharodon orientalis

1.jpg.4bba29719c2100c285597fd93aedfce0.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

Nice finds. :)

Lucky you checked! 

MeargleSchmeargl

Lots of nice black needles and blades! :meg:

WhodamanHD

Nice! Is that Paleocarch posterior?

bmitchell887

Very nice! Nice size otodus too!

Jeffrey P

Congratulations. Paleocarcharodon is high on my shopping list for the next time I visit the Aquia. 

RCW3D
3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Nice! Is that Paleocarch posterior?

That's what I assessed it to be as well...when I first saw it, it looked as though the tooth was broken due to the slant. I was extremely happy that I bent over and saw what it actually was and it would make sense that it is a posterior. 

SailingAlongToo
1 hour ago, RCW3D said:

That's what I assessed it to be as well...when I first saw it, it looked as though the tooth was broken due to the slant. I was extremely happy that I bent over and saw what it actually was and it would make sense that it is a posterior. 

@MarcoSr can tell you if it is a posterior.

HoppeHunting

Great finds! The Otodus is in good condition; not every day you find one like that in the Aquia Formation. Congrats on a productive hunt

sixgill pete

Very nice. Great Otodus, and any Paleocarcharodon is a good find. Do you ever collect any micro matrix to search from there? The Aquia had some great micro's.

RCW3D
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 8:32 AM, sixgill pete said:

Very nice. Great Otodus, and any Paleocarcharodon is a good find. Do you ever collect any micro matrix to search from there? The Aquia had some great micro's.

I actually have 6 gallon bags of matrix from an area that Marco recommended for me to collect micros from, I just haven't gone through it yet.