dino footprints need help identifying

CALWilson

I found these three prints in the same creek.  I have showed them to a lot of "experts" who have given many different possible identifications. Do any of these look familiar?

The first two are 12 inches long and the third one is 5 inches.  Thanks!

0922141740.thumb.jpg.71f57f087774baa3775edb1d0555013f.jpg1124142047.thumb.jpg.72bf199599f0a1281191b30cb5bdb49d.jpg0919141356.thumb.jpg.f37ff1a99d4d5c75a694bbdb097391b8.jpg

Dinosaur footprints are classified as to shape not species.  Here is a guide by Glen Kuban.  PA has pretty old exposures do you know the age of the rocks these are from.   Locality of where these were found? 

They do exist check this out.

http://www.digsfossils.com/fossils/footprints_main.html

tracktype2.thumb.jpg.a7fabf9bd97d2e4b274d70f9af71af59.jpg

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 6

This is very helpful--think two possible matches.  I found them in Solebury Pa (near Washington Crossing)  Not sure of the ages.  I used "experts" tongue in cheek :)

Everyone was very helpful...just lots of different possibilities!

2 minutes ago, CALWilson said:

...just lots of different possibilities!

Word...

With ichnofossils, the only way to confidently name the maker is to find its remains at the end of the trackway. One can suggest the likely candidates, based on the known fauna of the formation, but one cannot assume that all the formation's fauna are known.

For example, there are six named ichnospecies of bird tracks (that I am aware of) from the Green River formation. I have in my collection no fewer than 18 distinctive bird tracks (with several to many examples of each). With 34 described species of G.R. birds (and several more unnamed), one might expect a greater variety of tracks. It is assumed, however, that there are a bunch of species with tracks that just aren't distinguishable from others (mostly because of the lack of detail in tracks made in soft mud). Another problem is that many of the G.R. birds are described from fragmentary remains, with articulated feet being a commonly missing element.

• I found this Informative 7

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks annoyingly familiar, can’t put my finger on it sadly. Newark supergroup I assume? There is an app, Rockd, which has an interactive geologic map of all of the US, unfortunately some are a bit old and inaccurate but it works.

• I found this Informative 3

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Looks annoyingly familiar, can’t put my finger on it sadly. Newark supergroup I assume? There is an app, Rockd, which has an interactive geologic map of all of the US, unfortunately some are a bit old and inaccurate but it works.

I rarely download apps, but I took my tinfoil hat off for a minute and downloaded this.  It looks like a great resource.   Thank you for mentioning it.  The beauty of it is that the more people who use and contribute, the better it will get.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Like @Peat Burns I also downloaded this App and I really like it- seems to be spot on with the places that I checked. Thanks for the info.

• I found this Informative 1

@Nimravis and @Peat Burns I first saw it mentioned somewhere else in the forum (I can’t remember where or by whom) and then checked it out. Helps a ton with getting a general idea of a places geology, and the crowd sourcing really helps places like Maryland where the geological maps are not very accurate. I’m glad it’s found some use for others:D

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason