Peat Burns

I am looking for confirmation of the identity of this rodent jaw from the White River Group of NW Nebraska.  I am thinking Ischyromys.  Thoughts?

Scale is mm.  Occlusal view enlarged and not to scale.

@jpc, @Fruitbat, @Nimravis :)

20180331_000525.thumb.jpg.a84dafbd66634b6c001ba9d50bb2c109.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Pretty distinctive enamel pattern; from what I can find on-line for comparison, I think you have the right of it.

Nice squirrel!

• Thank You 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It is certainly a rodent, and a fairly robust lower jaw, so Isch is a good guess.  We have an Ischyromys specimen at work.... I can compare it on Monday.

• Thank You 1

Awesome find and well photographed,kudos!

Heaton on the genus(1996 OR 2005 ,not sure):

gglwillist.jpg

gglwillist.jpg

Can recommend the following for its scope,dentition not overly figured

gglwillist.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

doushantuo... your posting of actual scientific papers is incredible.  Do you find these online or do you have an incredible personal library? 

5 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Again, can't help, but it's a stunning piece. :)

Thanks, Adam :)

4 hours ago, Auspex said:

Pretty distinctive enamel pattern; from what I can find on-line for comparison, I think you have the right of it.

Nice squirrel!

Thanks, Auspex.  I found it this summer, and I had rough-sorted the jaw fragments in the field and had it in with the cf. Leptomeryx.  Then last night I started working on IDs and saw those beautiful teeth under the scope and realized I had a new species (new to me).:yay-smiley-1:

1 hour ago, jpc said:

It is certainly a rodent, and a fairly robust lower jaw, so Isch is a good guess.  We have an Ischyromys specimen at work.... I can compare it on Monday.

Thank you, jpc.

@doushantuo , thanks very much for those papers.  Very helpful as usual.  :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

• 4 years later...

An Answer to JPC,march 31,2018:

I have a pretty useful paper AND digital library at home ,but alas,no database to speak of.

edit.: my memory for (micro)mammal literature is pretty eidetic ,and a conservative estimation of having read several hundreds of articles,all from top peer-reviewed

journals,  seems reasonable

Edited by doushantuo

Can confirm Ischyromys

Comparison material from my collection.

IMG_3219.thumb.jpg.6b33e8f857dcd578cfc131124d15eab2.jpgIMG_3220.thumb.jpg.55e3589d5627f33f915e5e904b9ce897.jpg

Totally need a better camera setup....

Edited by ParkerPaleo
  • Thank You 1