Jacalitos Creek Coalinga, CA Identification

phidelt370

Can anyone help me identify these rocks and whether or not they are fossil imprints?  They look like trilobite shapes, but not sure if this is just a natural ripple effect on the rock.  Found at Jacalitos Creek in Coalinga, CA.  I mostly otherwise find sand dollars and shells in the creek bed.

15226321327087633262180176019539.jpg

Edited by phidelt370

Can not be trilobites, the rocks there are not old enough.

They do look like shell pieces, but I think that is just a coincidence. Going to guess they are chert..

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I think they are all chert. 

However, the bottom two and especially the bottom one may have rib patterns from bivalve shells on them. 

A close up of the ribbed sections may help.  

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

If it has a hardness of about 7 and the banding goes thru the rock then it is likely a piece of Monterey chert which is common along the coast of cenrtal and Northern California.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Modes-of-occurrence-of-chert-spheroids-in-the-Monterey-Formation-A-Many-chert_fig8_229542577

https://whatmissinglink.wordpress.com/2014/10/31/nutcracker-man/

A banded rock of alternating light and dark layers. The dark layers are contain very high amounts of algal remains.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I can definitely agree with that one!  

That stuff is everywhere here.

There is one thing that the central coast has a lot of and that's Cherts and Jaspers.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

They look like oyster shell fragments to me. You can put some vinegar on them to see if they fizz.

• I found this Informative 2

My first  impression, seeing the specimens, said oysters, so I'll go with that and with Eric. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

@phidelt370 I can see how they might also be worn pieces of Miocene/ Pliocene oysters. Let us know if a knife blade scratches them and if acid causes them to fizz so we can tell you what they are. The left sides of each piece are slightly concave and layered/ corrugated, similar to the hinge area of oysters.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.