Ammonite help?

gsjohnson1390

I found these in a river in SE, Ok. I was hoping someone could give me some info on them. What are the small ones? I was thinking gastropod. There are a few truckloads of those where I found the big ones. Also do big ones like these have any value? I seen big polished ones going for quite a bit, are these polishable? Why do some have defined ridges and arent spiral.  I don't know much about them I just spent about 30 mins in a river to find those. Any help would be appreciated!

20180320_173422-612x816.jpg

20180320_151434-1-485x642.jpg

Message_1521577639448-612x816.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Nice finds! Different species have different characteristics. Im not an ammonite guy so thats as far as my knowledge goes. As to your question about value. TFF does not give monetary values for specimens found and posted. If we did, we would be inundated with posts from new members about pricing and that would take away from the purpose of TFF. Thanks for sharing these though. It looks like a good haul and from the "truck loads" comment, you have some more collecting to do.

Best regards

Paul

...I'm back.

Welcome to the forum! Nice finds!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

The clams are Texigryphea  sp. The large ammonite pieces sort of look like Eopachydiscus sp. from the Cretaceous Duck Creek Formation that also occurs in nearby Texas. Some of the smaller ones with a keel and bumps on the ribs might be Mortoniceras sp. Up-close photos of the ammonites will help with ID. Some of our Texas members can probably give more refined info.

Check out Lance Hall's site and click on button for "Duck Creek Formation" on left to see photos of fossils: http://northtexasfossils.com/

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thanks for replies guys!  Yes that was all I could carry out and it was pretty cold that day! I'm going this weekend and plan on spending a couple hours looking.  I understand about asking about pricing, I sold those for a $100 to a neighbor. I was just wondering if that was a mistake! Thanks for the suggestion DPS Ammonite, I will definitely give it a read. 

Welcome to the forum. I'd say you got a fair deal from your neighbor. Good luck on your next hunt. Keep the good ones yourself next time. It's no more fun after a while just being in this for the money.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/