Carcharodontosaurus saharicus tooth

thelivingdead531

Hey everyone! I’m looking at this tooth online and wanted to get some opinions as to the quality of it. Seller lists it as Carcharodontosaurus saharicus from Morocco. The tip is worn, and I’m wondering if that is from a break or possible feeding wear? The other thing I’m wondering is the indention on the side of the tooth. Seller claims it’s occlusal wear from a tooth on the opposing jaw. I know I’ve seen photos of similar incidents (that’s probably not the right word for it but it’s all that’s coming to mind) and wanted opinions on that aspect as well. Are these features less desirable? I think that aspect makes it kind of neat, and more “real” so to speak. Would this be a nice tooth to help jump start a theropod tooth collection? Any opinions are greatly welcomed. Thanks!

C062FF39-B5DD-4ADF-9856-35FC0741F7BA.jpeg

29A0D6E2-345C-4A70-9162-DBE5ABAFA2A3.jpeg

AE9F2AE7-F16E-4F74-9EBD-11D02F85A2E1.jpeg

BC1EAF21-E9A5-44A7-8658-7757DE89789D.jpeg

91E41A52-15BC-4FC1-817C-0CAF833E3867.jpeg

D3EE9535-0635-40EB-8AA4-6B738B85881F.jpeg

Yup,both teeth are probably Carcharodontosaurus.

You can recognise them easily.

The first tooth is not in very good shape... tip missing and chip.

Second one is very warn and chipped.

Unless they are quite cheap,I would recommend a pass since they pop up quite often and you can get a good quality one for a reasonable price.

Hope this helped :) 

• I found this Informative 1

I would have to hold the tooth to determine if its a real wear facet.   The distal edge and tip look damaged.  The tooth is a Carcharodontosaurid indet. since a number of paleontologists belive there are multiple Carchs in the Kem Kem.  I would pass unless the price works for you.  Lots of better teeth out there to select from.

• I found this Informative 5

@DatFossilBoy This is all the same tooth, not two separate ones. I’m not exactly looking to see if they are Carcharodontosaurus (unless they really aren’t!) but more or less to see if the quality is decent and if the one indented side is really occlusal wear from another tooth or if it really is a chip. Since there appears to be enamel where the “chip” is, I’m hoping it’s just occlusal wear. The price is fairly cheap compared to other teeth of this size. I honestly didn’t think this one looked that bad compared to a lot of other (mostly smaller) teeth. :( Thank you for replying though, I appreciate the feedback!

7 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I would have to hold the tooth to determine if its a real wear facet.   The distal edge and tip look damaged.  The tooth is a Carcharodontosaurid indet. since a number of paleontologists belive there are multiple Carchs in the Kem Kem.  I would pass unless the price works for you.  Lots of better teeth out there to select from.

6 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Yup, what the others said.

Thank you both. I’m so torn because for some strange reason I really like this tooth. The price isn’t bad, but I still don’t want to spend that kind of money if it’s really a junk tooth. Ah decisions, decisions. I’ll keep looking before I completely make up my mind!

Just now, Bobby Rico said:

They expect offers on that tooth. ^_^

I noticed that too lol. You think I’d get the hint, huh? I just can’t bring myself to run away just yet. :wacko:

14 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I noticed that too lol. You think I’d get the hint, huh? I just can’t bring myself to run away just yet. :wacko:

I can’t help you with that because  I don’t know anything about the wonderful would of African dinosaurs . To me the one side of the tooth looks good and the other not so good. If you really like it offer them a low offer. Or save up for a better specimen.

• I found this Informative 5

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

I can’t help you with that because  I don’t know anything about the wonderful would of African dinosaurs . To me the one side of the tooth looks good and the other not so good. If you really like it offer them a low offer. Or save up for a better specimen.

I agree with @Bobby Rico one side has really nice enamel and the other side not so good. It could be a break or possible feeding wear however I lean towards the former being the case for this specimen. Moreover, it can be quite difficult to tell simply by looking at photos. If it's over $100 I would give it a pass! Looking at the ones currently on the popular bidding website, the tooth in your picture actually isn't so bad but you may find better ones if you decide to wait. At the end of the day, it really depends on whether you will be happy with the tooth and the tooth is in a good price range for you. As you are probably aware, Carcharodontosaurus teeth are some of the more common and I would look around for a bit and then if you still want this particular one then go for it!

• I found this Informative 6

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png