This carcharodontosaurus rooted tooth is a composite?

Anchiornis_huxleyi

Hello

I recently came across this rooted carcharodontosaurus tooth, as always the suspicion is that the root is from another tooth and was placed next to this one.

But I need help confirming my hypothesis, what leaves me in doubt is that some tooth cracks extend to the root. Could anyone help me figure out if this tooth is a fabrication?:look:

5U8A8571_63ad55fc-15d1-4431-97cf-78d9f6196b1b_383x@3x.progressive.jpg

5U8A8569_3f7ace67-98a6-4338-b700-fdf673e3d700_383x@3x.progressive.jpg

5U8A8568_383x@3x.progressive.jpg

5U8A8567_c3f64415-6d06-4ff0-95c5-d00507fc68fb_383x@3x.progressive.jpg

Yes this is a composite root or a fabrication glued to the crown of a Carcharodontosaurus. Really poorly done, the shape of the tooth and so called root don't add up neither. The tip of the tooth is also broken off and glued back together.

Would definitely avoid. 

Here is a similar tooth you can compare against.  See the smooth transition between the crown and root.   Anthing else raises questions about a composite.

Screenshot_20230420_050715_Drive.thumb.jpg.9e829b94af7fd6640ed563b738f665da.jpg

• I Agree 2

9 hours ago, Anchiornis_huxleyi said:

Hello

I recently came across this rooted carcharodontosaurus tooth, as always the suspicion is that the root is from another tooth and was placed next to this one.

But I need help confirming my hypothesis, what leaves me in doubt is that some tooth cracks extend to the root. Could anyone help me figure out if this tooth is a fabrication?:look:

5U8A8571_63ad55fc-15d1-4431-97cf-78d9f6196b1b_383x@3x.progressive.jpg

5U8A8569_3f7ace67-98a6-4338-b700-fdf673e3d700_383x@3x.progressive.jpg

5U8A8568_383x@3x.progressive.jpg

5U8A8567_c3f64415-6d06-4ff0-95c5-d00507fc68fb_383x@3x.progressive.jpg

nice for decoration, if it is cheap, to show how they could look when they are real...

as mentioned, this is not a real one, glued together short below medium quality

@Troodon that´s a great one!!! :tiphat:

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, rocket said:

nice for decoration, if it is cheap, to show how they could look when they are real...

as mentioned, this is not a real one, glued together short below medium quality

@Troodon that´s a great one!!! :tiphat:

True, but the only problem with buying obvious fakes like this is it incentivises people to continue to make and sell these things. I have no issues if the seller fully discloses that it's a composite/art piece, but it is a huge problem when sellers deceive buyers (whether intentionally or unintentionally). For me, it's more the principle of the matter rather than the price tag (although that is important as well).

16 hours ago, Meatasaurus93 said:

True, but the only problem with buying obvious fakes like this is it incentivises people to continue to make and sell these things. I have no issues if the seller fully discloses that it's a composite/art piece, but it is a huge problem when sellers deceive buyers (whether intentionally or unintentionally). For me, it's more the principle of the matter rather than the price tag (although that is important as well).

that´s definitely a fact... We know some guys who make fakes professionally and sell them. When you ask them about the condition (and know that they did it themselves!) they do not know if it is or not and have never seen the fossil before they "got it from a friend". About the people from morocco we learned, check everything on your own, some of the guys are absolutely honorable persons, some are great artists and some..., only need the money...

• I Agree 1