Tooth Identification

Calvert Cliff Dweller

Hi Folks,

I recently acquired a Sharkstooth from Charles County Maryland. I was told it was found North of the 301 bridge on the Potomac River. Anyway this area of Maryland I rarely collect so I picked up this 2.05” tooth on a trade. Just looking to confirm the Identification on this beauty of a tooth.

Thanks Calvert Cliff Dweller 

image.jpg

1 minute ago, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

Reverse pic

image.jpg

Say, she's kinda cute, single?

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

You've been in the Aquia formation, collecting Paleocene Otodus obliquus. :)

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

With Serrations! I know its possible but rare. Are you sure that its an Otodus @Auspex?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Its probably early eocene, since its serrated, in the Nanjemoy Formation.   Carcharocles possibly C. aksuaticus

5 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Its probably early eocene, since its serrated, in the Nanjemoy Formation.   Carcharocles possibly C. aksuaticus

Yes, this ^

There's a couple hundred yard long stretch where these later Nanjemoy beds are exposed.

Very. Cool. Tooth.

:wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

My impression when I first saw it that I was looking at a Otodus Auriculatus or aka Transitional Otodus.

Here's the scoop, from the Master: LINK

Thanks Auspex for the very informative link and all the help from TFF for getting  answers to my questions regarding this rare tooth.

I agree with auriculatus, nice anterior one too!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

7 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

It is a transitional Otodus; read the link.

Great tooth. I believe @Auspex and @Troodon have the ID nailed.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

40 minutes ago, Auspex said:

It is a transitional Otodus; read the link.

In my opinion the same thing. I’ll explain myself:

Otodus aksauticus  is different from both O. Obliquus and O. auriculatus because of the subtle shape and continuousness differences of the serrations, this is such a minute difference I am skeptical they warrant a different species. It would be like saying that a human skull with thicker enamel than usual is a different species. It’s a lumper/splitter debate, but in my book if it has serrations it’s a auriculatus (though I may put O. auriculatus aksauticus) and if it does not, it’s an obliquus. So yes, transitional is right, but auriculatus is not wrong.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 minutes ago, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

Well would anybody put any monetary  value to this Otodus?

I am sure someone would, but the Fossil Forum does not do appraisals.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

One of the dealers at the show we just had locally had one of these. I was tempted, but he wanted such a ridiculously high price on it and wouldn't budge. So I walked.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Gotcha I forgot TFF rules momentarily anyway I don’t plan on letting it go unless somebody wants it REAL bad. Thanks for everyone’s help on IDing this rare gem.

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

In my opinion the same thing. I’ll explain myself:

Otodus aksauticus  is different from both O. Obliquus and O. auriculatus because of the subtle shape and continuousness differences of the serrations, this is such a minute difference I am skeptical they warrant a different species. It would be like saying that a human skull with thicker enamel than usual is a different species. It’s a lumper/splitter debate, but in my book if it has serrations it’s a auriculatus (though I may put O. auriculatus aksauticus) and if it does not, it’s an obliquus. So yes, transitional is right, but auriculatus is not wrong.

I'm curious as to how many specimens in this lineage you've examined to base your statement on.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png

9 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Otodus aksuaticus , like my avatar picture at the left.

Is that name valid now for specimens from outside of Africa?

9 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

In my opinion the same thing....

So, are you claiming by the same logic that C. auriculatus (assigned a different genus) is also 'the same'?

10 hours ago, WhodamanHD said: