Tooth Identification

Calvert Cliff Dweller

17 minutes ago, Auspex said:

C. auriculatus (assigned a different genus)

The latest revisions (I believe that’s the right paper) place the whole Megalodon lineage into Otodus. auriculatus differs from angustidens by more than simply serrations, also some blade and cusp differences though @MarcoSr has said that age is the only definite indicator.

7 hours ago, Gizmo said:

I'm curious as to how many specimens in this lineage you've examined to base your statement on.

Being honest, not an incredible amount. In my hands, one aksauticus and two auriculatus. I have looked at pictures and descriptions online as well. If you have any information to the contrary, I’d love to hear it (I’m always up for learning something!) 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The tooth is an Otodus aksuaticus from the Eocene, Woodstock Member of the Nanjemoy Formation.  Look at the partial serrations.  Otodus obliquus is not serrated.  Otodus auriculatus is fully serrated.  A good number of researchers including Cappetta now put the entire lineage from obliquus to megalodon in the Otodus genus.  There is variation in serrations, cusplet features, crown and root features etc. within the different species themselves and overlap of these features between the different species that can make distinguishing the species of an individual tooth almost impossible.  Age of the formation is a very good indicator of the species.  I've held many thousands of teeth from the Otodus lineage in my hand and can't distinguish for sure the species of a good number of them.  Trying to distinguish a species from a couple of grainy pictures on TFF isn't much better than guesswork unless the tooth has classic species features like the tooth in this post.  Plus it helps to have collected the site it was found at for 40+ years.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 6

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

2 hours ago, Auspex said:

Is that name valid now for specimens from outside of Africa?

The lineage was  moved to Otodus recently.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png

1 hour ago, MarcoSr said:

A good number of researchers including Cappetta now put the entire lineage from obliquus to megalodon in the Otodus genus. 

Well, there you go!

I am way behind the curve on taxonomic realignments among the elasmobranchs...
Sorry to have perpetuated out of date information! :blush:

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks again to all the Folks on TFF for helping identify this rare transitional tooth. 

On 4/25/2018 at 3:51 PM, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

Reverse pic

image.jpg

I hunt all over Southern Maryland, not Just Brownies, so thanks for sharing.