Dicranurus elegantus prep

holdinghistory

I recently picked up this partial Dicranurus elegantus from the Haragan formation, Oklahoma. It was a fun prep! initially it laid flat at a funny angle (don't have a full photo), so I cut a base so it would stand on its own rather than lay flat, and removed a lot of matrix from the new top. I worked it down with my Aro, and used a abrasive unit when I thought I was getting close to the spines. Once I figured out the spine position I started with the Aro again, going slow and following the spines, switching back to the abrasive if I wasn't 100% sure where the spine was. Overall very happy with the results, not bad for a partial bug! Here is the before and after.

1.jpg

IMG_8410.JPG

Wonderful.  Not an easy prep (speaking from experience - I'm working on one right now...:blink:)

Well done! That is an intricate and challenging piece to prep!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Awesome! This gives me hope that when I see a partially submerged Dicranurus it can be complete.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

6 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Good job. Looks like the spines broke and you had to reglue them. Correct?

Yes, the spine was disarticulated already, and the left one was a little weak from some damage. They came off and I prepped them loose, then reattached them. 

9 minutes ago, indominus rex said:

Awesome! This gives me hope that when I see a partially submerged Dicranurus it can be complete.

For this particular one, I could see the ends of a few spines on the edge of the matrix, so I knew there was more in there. But still was surprised it was as complete as it was.

Nice job! 

These are lovely trilobites and a fun sort of nightmare to prep one imagines. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

Wonderful.  Not an easy prep (speaking from experience - I'm working on one right now...:blink:)

Good luck! If you get tied of it let me know ;).

• I found this Informative 1

Actually just discovered today that I had a partial unprepped Cyphaspis carrolli. Started practicing on it and of course my compressor crashed part way through, so now I need to replace it.

20180506_125948.thumb.jpg.01fee2b0e0a9feda4a0ad19d29d1dc5a.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Unfortunately most of his spines were missing, so this was just to see how I could do with a tiny bug. Tried to clear the few spines that were left.

20180506_125931.thumb.jpg.a3f791b3b8882a795affe7a699add92b.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

2 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Stupid thing popped off the matrix to boot, so now I have a Cyphaspis roller smaller than my pinky finger nail...

Well, if you don't want it........................................;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

38 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Well, if you don't want it........................................;)

:hearty-laugh:

4 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

Stupid thing popped off the matrix to boot, so now I have a Cyphaspis roller smaller than my pinky finger nail...

Smaller than my pinky finger?  Wow.  I wonder what ive thrown away over the years!!!

RB