paleoman1234

Found this in the city of Tbilisi, Georgia. It was discovered while digging a foundation, under 6 feet of ground. I also found a smaller version of the pictured one, only 1/2 this size. That one was found in kobuleti, Georgia. Also found aproximately 6 feet underground. Both have a prolate spheroid shape.

Could not find any flat areas on the surface.

Size: 14" ×16"

Weight: 38.8 pounds.

20180612_205220_resized.jpg

20180612_205503_resized.jpg

20180612_205347_resized.jpg

20180612_205404_resized.jpg

20180612_211745_resized.jpg

20180612_205220_resized.jpg

20180612_205715_resized.jpg

20180612_205333_resized.jpg

Most likely concretion if there was no deposit of mechanically rounded stones for it to be part of. They can get very large.

IMG_4646a.jpg

The external surface looks to be river worn stone due to the cracks and indentations, rather then being a concretion.

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

If convenient, I would also seek the opinion of an archaeologist who is familiar with the history of the two areas.

Interesting, will follow.

My first thought was concretion but since I found an identical one, same shape and material or stone on the west side of the country but half the size of this one.

I couldn't rule out that they could have been used in a catapult as a projectile and man made. I will check with a local archaeologist when I visit Georgia this August before I rule this idea out.

Both were found while excavating at a depth of about 6 feet. Surface texture is identical on both.

Always open for the forum's input.

4 hours ago, paleoman1234 said:

I will check with a local archaeologist when I visit Georgia this August before I rule this idea out.

If it were to be shaped as a projectile the raw material would likely be found where the topography was right for swift flowing mountain streams.

It might pay to keep geology in mind. 

I’m curious as to what it may be. In Arkansas there are areas where there are perfectly round concretions. Some up to 4 feet in diameter. They are most noted around Prim, AR.

This is a geological article about them. 

http://www.geology.ar.gov/pdf/MP 22 Prim Boulders.pdf

MP%2022%20Prim%20Boulders.pdf

Edited by KimTexan
Sorry it pasted an image of PDF rather than the link

Based on the surface texture of eroded fractures, I think it is likely some type of natural cryptocrystalline stone nodule (eg. chert, flint, jasper, etc.).  Rounded shapes are common in this material.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ