Big Brook finds/ some Id help

Masp

I think 12 and 13 likely come from the Porbeagle Shark, either Archaeolamna kopingensis or Cretolamna appendiculata.

• I found this Informative 1

30 minutes ago, pinkus said:

Nice finds. #1 is certainly a gastropod steinkern. #7 looks like a belemnite phragmocone to me. #2 and 3 look like bivalve steinkerns to me but there probably isn't enough there to identify beyond that. I'll defer to others for the teeth.

Thank you!  I’ll try to post the ones that are hard to determine in clear, different, and better angles

9 minutes ago, Wolf52893 said:

doesn't look like a croc tooth to me

Thanks pal, what does it look like to you?

I believe #5 is a chipped Goblin Shark tooth (S. texanus).

20 minutes ago, Masp said:

#26 croc or mosasaur?  Looks a lot like a mosasaur tooth by comparing in the two comparison pics

When compared to the mosasaur tooth from Fossilguy.com it looks really similar so I would assume its a partial tooth from one.

3 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

When compared to the mosasaur tooth from Fossilguy.com it looks really similar so I would assume its a partial tooth from one.

Yeah my thoughts exactly. Thanks for all this input

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Big Brook finds/ some Id help
1 hour ago, Masp said:

Yeah my thoughts exactly. Thanks for all this input

You're welcome! Always interesting to see what people are finding in the brook. 

#1 is a gastropod. #2 is a steinkern, probably a gastropod steinkern. #3 looks like a steinkern of a bivalve. #4 is a Squalicorax lindstromi tooth. #5 is an anterior Scapanorhynchus texanus tooth. #6 is a posterior Ischyrhiza mira rostral. #7 is not a tooth, but rather a belemnite (Belemnitella americana) phragmacone. #8 and #9 are concretions. #10 is an Enchodus sp. (most likely E. petrosus) palatine tooth. #11 is an S. texanus upper lateral. #12 is a Paranomotodon angustidens lateral. #13 (left) is an Eostriatolamia holmdelensis anterior. #13 (right) is an Archaeolamna kopingensis anterior. #14 is an S. texanus (a shark) anterior. #15 looks like a Paranomotodon angustidens anterior, although there is a chance that it is an A. kopingensis (picture does not show the root area well). #17 is an I. mira partial root base. #18 (first two photos) are an Enchodus gladiolus tooth. #18 (third photo, which seems like a different tooth) is an E. petrosus lateral tooth. #19 is a modern seed. #20 is a very worn shark tooth, possibly P. angustidens. #21 is a modern nut (it is one of those nuts that squirrels like to eat, whatever you call them). #22 is a concretion. #23 is a crocodile tooth. #24 (2nd #23) is a gastropod steinkern. Your #24 is an Enchodus petrosus palatine tooth. #25 is a Choristothyris plicata bivalve. #26 is a partial Mosasaur tooth.

• I found this Informative 3

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

3 hours ago, Masp said:

#20 croc or mosasaur tooth?...

93A21637-0AAD-4580-BB9F-41E0E0278948.jpeg

Cool tooth...it looks like a Pycnodont's pharyngeal tooth. 

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Just now, PFOOLEY said:

Cool tooth...it looks like a Pycnodont's pharyngeal tooth. 

It is not transparent enough to be one. It matches better with a worn shark tooth.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

@josephstrizhak  you don’t know how much I appreciate you going out of your way to detail of this for me. Made my night.  Thanks so much. Even happier with my finds now.  Not bad for only my third trip there!

@josephstrizhak  any guess as to what type of crocodile the tooth could belong to in pic #23 and it’s a juvenile sp. correct? Or at least the options it could be? Same for the mosasaur tooth

9 hours ago, Masp said:

@josephstrizhak  any guess as to what type of crocodile the tooth could belong to in pic #23 and it’s a juvenile sp. correct? Or at least the options it could be? Same for the mosasaur tooth

Not absolutely sure on this, but a lot of the crocodilian material from Big Brook is referred to Thoracosaurus neocesariensis, a late cretaceous relative of the modern ghavial/gharial of India.

@Masp

No problem with the IDs. The Croc tooth is a great find for only your third trip there. It is likely a Thoracosaurus neocesariensis tooth, but you can't be 100% sure because the reptile material is pretty fragmentary here. It is probably not a juvenile tooth. The Mosasaur tooth looks like Mosasaurus conodon, although you can't be definite when it's just a piece of enamel.

I updated all the fossil Id’s on this topic.  If anybody else wants to chime in please do so and thank you. Hope you guys like my finds

19 hours ago, Masp said:

#21 not sure but it’s rock

99D05E4A-6173-4EFD-A34E-4EE40A703AEE.jpeg

A36AE9A4-DFD0-42F9-AF92-F2CB625EF8B0.jpeg

D59CF41D-866A-413B-975D-C3477EC72E41.jpeg

A0EC10B3-AC85-4F84-B56C-B0E7DE0D5C1B.jpeg

42837DD1-3B50-41FC-8BD6-C7C7FA8426B9.jpeg

No, it looks like part of a hickory nut shell. Almost as hard as a rock. See how it feels when it dries out.

Hi @Masp,

Can you make a couple pictures at different angles of #15? I would like to confirm if it really is a thresher. Btw, I did not add that #1 is technically a gastropod steinkern.

Joseph

.delete.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

I'd say not a Paranomotodon, but more likely a broken Archaeolamna.  Picture isn't definitive.

The sand tiger is probably correct but the last one is definitely Cretalamna  not Archaeolamna.

On 7/1/2018 at 8:51 PM, Masp said:

#12 Paranomotodon angustidens lateral

then the two below left to right: Eostriatolamia holmdelensis anterior & Archeolamna kopingensis anterior

7F137443-3779-4098-A88B-D527816D41A7.jpeg

DDE980C6-1434-4C6F-9B2F-5C475AE9D192.jpeg

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

8 hours ago, non-remanié said:

I'd say not a Paranomotodon, but more likely a broken Archaeolamna.  Picture isn't definitive.

The sand tiger is probably correct but the last one is definitely Cretalamna  not Archaeolamna.

I somehow can't really see the first one being a broken Archaeolamna upper lateral. The root does seem fairly whole in height, which means that it is not robust enough for Archaeolamna.

I always thought the morphology of the last tooth matched with a Cretalamna lower third anterior, but this pic always made me second guess that thought and think it's an Archaeolamna:

http://fossilsofnj.com/NJfavorites/album/slides/ct_b1_rs_opt.html

I thought the ID on that link was wrong and should be Cretalamna, especially because of the cusplets and fairly flattened shape. Would you say that tooth is actually Cretalamna (probably a lower a3)?

Joseph