J Esterline

Hello all,

The rock pictured was picked up in Arizona, possibly while on the side of I-40 at a pit stop, we're actually not 100% sure because it was a number of years ago and by a family member (not me).

It's just such an unusually shaped rock and oddly translucent in the light, haha sometimes it makes me think of a lump of petrified flesh. Any ideas what it might be?

Thanks very much, (I lurk mostly but love this forum)rock01.thumb.jpg.f8792d7f9fdfe234285623c5ce262133.jpgIMG_0665.thumb.JPG.789c448394835bde8edbb84e153cb809.JPGIMG_0666.thumb.JPG.6507403be3358eabb8a423e7c4ffe9c7.JPGIMG_0667.thumb.JPG.545cd33b2e6a1d2d0afa97a56e47717e.JPGIMG_0669.thumb.JPG.f0cfadcf0332d1778ae769e7a10db270.JPGIMG_0664.thumb.JPG.d57585bb33e344eb281aa6a92335faef.JPGIMG_0663.thumb.JPG.4c1b78a3021feea5d7ad4cbe900e5951.JPGIMG_0662.thumb.jpg.132dd75aeac526a1fb22e809ba0e176b.jpgIMG_0661.thumb.jpg.6d9a684afdc5425edcdf2463dcc870ff.jpgIMG_0668.thumb.JPG.0566bdd5608346a7f0eea3b3799a8cdb.JPG

It looks like a river worn, iron-rich, well cemented sandstone or quartzite. Iron gives the rock its red color.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I-40 runs through some amazing fossils. The Chinle formation for example, home of the Petrified Forrest. When I lived in Az. I would find lots of petrified wood but had to be careful of the park boundaries. I also would find native artifacts throughout Arizona. Even found an artifact made from pet wood. That said, this looks like a quartzite cobble. Possibly an artifact? The strange shape is why I ask.

29 minutes ago, ynot said:

It looks like a stream tumbled quartzite (metamorphic sandstone rich in silica.)

I can see that, does the silica give it that translucent in light quality?

21 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It looks like a river worn, iron-rich, well cemented sandstone or quartzite. Iron gives the rock its red color.

funny to say something is river worn in the middle of Arizona, but I know it's true. It's a fascinating red!

4 minutes ago, Scylla said:

I-40 runs through some amazing fossils. The Chinle formation for example, home of the Petrified Forrest. When I lived in Az. I would find lots of petrified wood but had to be careful of the park boundaries. I also would find native artifacts throughout Arizona. Even found an artifact made from pet wood. That said, this looks like a quartzite cobble. Possibly an artifact? The strange shape is why I ask.

Driving through that part of the country is one of my favorite things, it's beautiful. I do have friends in Chinle, but I'm thinking this was more toward the Winslow area. heading to or from Albuquerque. (which is a long stretch, I know). 

I'm starting to agree with the quartzite, but yeah it's a very unusual shape that fits a hand grip/hold in a couple of different ways. I tried to capture the oddness of its shape and i don't think I did.

The first picture, the way I'm holding it... in real life the flat shape looks like a squished palm (the lines on your hand) and to the right, next to my thumb it's shaped like a thumb half submerged in rock. (my imagination) It has in some areas what look like black lines under the surface, vein-like and on the fifth photo there is very light discoloration (white) that almost looks like an image, but I'm not willing to say that it is.

If it is an artifact I wouldn't have a clue to what it could possibly be. 

IDK, send a picture to an artifact expert. Maybe some giant pottery trowel or grinder with convenient handle? Or wind/water worn rock.

4 hours ago, J Esterline said:

, does the silica give it that translucent in light quality?

Yes.

4 hours ago, J Esterline said:

If it is an artifact I wouldn't have a clue to what it could possibly be. 

Unless it was found in context with other artifacts it is impossible to classify this as an artifact.

Does not look like an artifact to Me anyways.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.