Fly Fishing, or other types of Vests

nkk9960

Hi,

Forum newbie here!

This is my 4th summer collecting fossils, mostly in and around Colorado.  I purchased a fly fishing vest almost immediately, but it is starting to wear out.  Rocks will do that, I guess!  I can probably make it last thru this summer, but I want a new one before next summer when I have a big trip to England planned.

Can anyone suggest favorite brands and/or styles?  It doesn't have to be a fly fishing vest.  In a perfect world, most of the pockets would be big with zippers, with additional internal ones for phones, keys, etc.

Thanks!

So personally I don't really like vests because they can't carry much in the way of rock. I normally use a backpack to hold fossils; I'll wrap them well in toilet paper and masking tape...if you do this well and with enough toilet paper, the fossil won't experience any damage on the way back. The size of the backpack really depends on how many fossils you plan on taking out with you.

I use a backpack as well.  

I use the vest for things to keep closer at hand, like small finds, phone, glasses, keys.  My current vest is starting to become un-trustworthy!  

• 2 months later...

For smaller fossils I love using a MOLLE compatible belt with a H harness. It is extremely comforrable and you can fit a ton of small-medium fossils in it if you get the correct pouches. Mine is Condour, off of Amazon. You can really personalize it. I have a first aid kit on my back as well as a mag dump pouch that works amazing as rock and/or a garbage pouch. If you have any questions I can help you out with it!15371047770331585187298.thumb.jpg.665889bf3570a9b7ebc660c862e6fbe5.jpg

On 7/9/2018 at 5:19 PM, jdp said:

So personally I don't really like vests because they can't carry much in the way of rock. I normally use a backpack to hold fossils; I'll wrap them well in toilet paper and masking tape...if you do this well and with enough toilet paper, the fossil won't experience any damage on the way back. The size of the backpack really depends on how many fossils you plan on taking out with you.

The toilet paper must be especially useful for wrapping up coprolites. :ighappy:

35 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

The toilet paper must be especially useful for wrapping up coprolites. :ighappy:

Dang it, beat me to it! :)

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

An old post, but I cant help.  Most of the stuff I used to hunt for was way to big for a fishing vest.  Even a large backpack was too small sometimes.  The good ole days.  Or even two weeks from now when we are in South Dakota prying out big concretions out of a dry creek bed will be too big even for a backpack.  Gunna be fun.  Good luck with the fishing vest.  Even some small stuff can be purty dang cool.

RB

Archived