MattofFields

Hi 

I'm quite new at fossil hunting.

As I was swimming at low tide, far from the shore with my 4 y o. son, he found this rounded pebble in shallow water. I took it,  broke it, to find out this (see image). It does look like a fossilize worm. Does anyone have any idea ? The age ? Thanks in advance !

Matt (and Elie, the discoverer...).

20180710_064007.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Hard to say, but it looks like a Graptolite, to me.

Maybe some others can weigh in.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Tim, I do appreciate.

I posted an even better picture. I should add that we were in the St-Lawrence river, near Quebec city when we found it. I read that graptolite were often found in black shale, which seems to be the rock I'm holding....that seem to confirm it even more.

IMG_1608.JPG.8d1d7645ecf0b3cc52b6e07c213b1b30.JPGMatt 

• I found this Informative 4

Definitely a nice graptolite. :)

Well spotted. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Or a broken off piece of a really, really old jewlers saw. :P

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Ok, here's another one, found in black shale as well : anybody has any idea what that ''whitish'' animal could be ?

Thanks,

Matt

IMG_1623.JPG

I think this is a mineralized crack that is partially exposed to form a suggestive shape.

There is another smaller exposure bottom left of picture and some evidence on the side area.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

View from another angle...

Hmmm...doesn't look like a crack to me. But hey, I just might be wrong...

Matt

20180710_150739.jpg

You can see the seam across the face of the brake (red line).

I have also marked a similar exposure in yellow.

20180710_150739.thumb.jpg.15af070f460a0726c1a68882421fd553.thumb.jpg.7bcd5b7c33c004b91b660cb49d5a0c25.jpg

You can see several other mineral filled cracks in the rock. These seems provide a weakness in the rocks structure and can be broken along the seems path.

Yeah...so it implies that the mineral keeps running beneath....I guess the shape of the crack made me beleive this was an actual shape of something...well, well...ok then. Thanks. 

The human brain is hardwired to see patterns and images in things (called pareidolia) which is helpful for social animals to recognize faces in a group and to allow us to recognize common items when obscured or barely visible. You just proved that your brain is working at peak efficiency. :) I think it is much more fun to look for suggestive items in rocks than bunnies in clouds. ;) When looking at some types of fossils (like Mazon Creek siderite concretions) sometimes the faint image left by the organism that created the fossil nodule is so difficult to see that it becomes something of a Rorschach Test to see what people can see in the nodules.

Love the graptolite--they are cool enigmatic creatures:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graptolithina

A belated welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay here and let the addiction of fossil hunting take hold.

Cheers.

-Ken

Nice graptolite find! :)

A very warm welcome to The Fossil Forum from Morocco. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks for those nice welcome...wow...don't know what to says really ! Thanks Tidgy's dad, I appreciate.

Bullseye Ken : (I wish I could say it in french) but essentially, as an artist (painter), I know too well how important those recognition reflexes are. In fact, those reflexes already seem

to show up a bit with rocks....the difference though is the lack of thickness of my fossil dictionary and experience in that field ! Hopefully, that will come...

Talk to you soon guys !

Matt 

Hi there,

Found these in black shale. They seem to be Orbisiana linearis. On the net, they seem to imply this specie is only found in southern China. Do I get the right specie, or it's just not limited to southern China anyway ?

Thanks,

Matt

20180711_204431.jpg

Hey hi Matt,

This picture is to blurry to make out any detail.

This makes it real hard to make an ID.

Can You take pictures of each piece separately and get as close up as You can (while staying in focus).

It may help if You take the pictures in direct sunlight.

Also - please include a scale.

Regards,

Tony

I think there is an obvious problem with the thought. The length of time that it typically takes for shale to accumulate this thickness.

They would almost certainly have to be preserved on a bedding plain and not within the sediment.

Perhaps bedding and cleavage are confused looking in the rock, but I sort of doubt it.  

Good morning guys,

Well, did my best to get the best picture possible. All my findings comes from rocks found in the St-Lawrence river at low tide (just a little west of Quebec city, Canada). 

Here's the place I saw which refer to Orbisiana linearis. Might be anything, but it sure looks like that's the thing... 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301926814003465

Cheers and many thanks, you guys rock !

Matt

IMG_1636.JPG

There are some geochronological constraints,I believe: the Lantian O. species are found in formations the age of which is litho-and chemostratigrapically bracketed between 635 and 576 megayears ago.

Species might have undergone tectonic deformation,BTW

Graptolite possibly a undulograptid or even badly preserved Anticostia,but don't quote me on that

I don't know if miscellaneous cateniporids or halyisitids might resemble your O. 

seepf566655tyyy774ett77archime44e5tmedtr2m35pltwillist.jpg

Below:climacograptids

seepf566655tyyy774ett77archime44e5tmedtr2m35pltwillist.jpg

Thanks for what you bring, there is soooo much infos in your comments :-) I'll keep on looking for what it is....I really want to know.  

Well, in my opinion, it seems like my ''Orbisiana linearis'' (if that's what it is) is a little too ''disorganized'' to be halyisitids.  But they sure look alike. 

But regardless of what it is, it still is a (more or less 500 myo) fossil, right ?

Concerning the graptolite, I'll keep looking, and just might find one that is maybe bigger and that rule out possibilities.

Matt