Beaverhead Impact and the Haggerman Horse (part 1)

GeneralAnesthetic

9 hours ago, GeneralAnesthetic said:

This limestone was impacted directly by a small meteorite. 

How can you be certain? It doesn't quite look that way to me, at least. :headscratch:

If you are not absolutely sure, it is best to proceed by using hedging words. Instead of declaring what something is, go for "it seems like x" or "it looks like x" followed by why it might be x. This is particularly important when we are making claims that point to much more extraordinary or rare phenomena than, say, a simple brachiopod or a chunk of limestone. ;) 

It is also sometimes more generative of discussion to pose a question rather than make an authoritative declaration. Something along the lines of "is this evidence of a small meteorite impact?" allows for others to feel as though they might be of assistance in contributing to the dialogue.

I'll tag @ynot to have a look at this, as he knows his geology.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

First off there is no meteorite impact in Your rock, nor is it limestone.

The area that I circled in green shows a mineralized area that shows mostly iron oxide. This would have formed in a crack in the parent rock before it was broken into chunks. Also there are terrestrial minerals that are magnetic, so that is not a reliable indication of a meteorite.

The 3 areas that I circled in red are agate nodules that form in volcanic type rock, filling gas bubble voids.

The green color is caused by a mineral called Glauconite, an iron potassium phyllosilicate 

hfjhjhjhj.JPG.1ef1e869d5a07375150e57e3cc928f38.JPG.b14eba559fe5e131f9b03d428a8f5617.JPG

Most of the assumptions that You have made in this thread are way off the mark..

You really need to read some basic geology books.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hey @ynot can agate form in sedimentary rocks or are they just inclusions worn from Igneous rocks? I’d like to know for my own purposes.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 7/23/2018 at 9:46 AM, WhodamanHD said:

Hey @ynot can agate form in sedimentary rocks or are they just inclusions worn from Igneous rocks? I’d like to know for my own purposes.

Simple answer- yes it can be found in sedimentary rocks.

Agate (AKA chalcedony) is considered an associated mineral. This is because it can form in any type of rock, but is not part of the rock.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

8 hours ago, ynot said:

First off there is no meteorite impact in Your rock, nor is it limestone.

The area that I circled in green shows a mineralized area that shows mostly iron oxide. This would have formed in a crack in the parent rock before it was broken into chunks. Also there are terrestrial minerals that are magnetic, so that is not a reliable indication of a meteorite.

The 3 areas that I circled in red are agate nodules that form in volcanic type rock, filling gas bubble voids.

The green color is caused by a mineral called Glauconite, an iron potassium phyllosilicate 

hfjhjhjhj.JPG.1ef1e869d5a07375150e57e3cc928f38.JPG.b14eba559fe5e131f9b03d428a8f5617.JPG

Most of the assumptions that You have made in this thread are way off the mark..

You really need to read some basic geology books.

The agate nodules are not all agate. The right certainly is. The middle however has a clay like shell, did not loupe the internals to see if there were crystals. These boulders contain a mix, agate, concretions, geodes and other types of crystals. Some have casing/shells others do not. Some are layered silicate others crystallized voids/geodes. Some indicators I used are, shock metamorphosis, evidence of heat exposure, and crushed material that was clearly fossilized and/or agatized prior to matrix impact that caused the once complete for to be crushed before the voids were completely remineralized. I'm also working on understanding Miller's Indices to prove planar deformation characteristics of samples I've collected. 

I can respect your input on this, I have no problem citing the information I have collected and the reasoning behind this. I apologize if I am all over the place and confusing. I seriously do need direction. I am seriously ADHD and Autistic I do not see things or speak of them as others do. I appreciate everything that has helped me direct my thoughts. Honestly, I did not know the level of education of the group and also, wasn't sure how 'academic' I needed to be in my presentation. 

Good science to me is to disregard all other science, then use that science to prove myself wrong. To learn first what is wrong, better illuminates what is correct. 

It will take a few days but I'll not muddle the post further until my cited support is ready. 

James

7 minutes ago, ynot said:

Yeah, that is pretty much what I expected You to say.

Sorry to waste Your time.

You have not wasted my time. Consider anything I've said lightly, I'm just obsessive and it's a system I've used to gather info for a long time. I'd expect to concede much of what I speak quite honestly. But I cannot do that until I feel like I have adequately educated myself. I still have a science requirement for an AA so I'll try adding geology again. We are small town so the CC only offers it with enough students enrolled. I've taken geology before at another school, been on fossil hunting trips. Found my own, etc. But never really had much by the way of conversation with others who were better educated. Easy to become an authority in Bs. Anywho, just wanted you to know I'm wierd, I'll still be here, just working on some knowledge and presentation skillz. 

Regards

7 minutes ago, GeneralAnesthetic said:

Anywho, just wanted you to know I'm wierd,

Not alone in that regard, I’m here :)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason