Show us your rarest shark’s teeth!

Miocene_Mason

Carcharodon carcharias , Norwich Crag .UK this is the only tooth I have purchased it was part of a Victorian collection of Norwich Crag find. I do really like this tooth , it has a nice hue.

and 

Isurus Planus Hooked tooth Mako 

Round Mountain Silt Formation,

Bakersfied , California 

DDA8B673-0F60-424F-9019-AF3CDBCEE117.jpeg

ADD42444-5592-4D12-8DFB-2A51BFB1AB2D.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Nice teeth @Bobby Rico! I really like the U.K. great wight, I mean, white:D

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I always have Mack the Knife song as an ear worm when I see shark teeth.

“Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear
And it shows them pearly white”

1 hour ago, Woopaul5 said:

Usually a male will have a “middle finger” like appearance like...

SCtaCk.jpg

and females will have a “v” like...

ZWxKZc.jpg

I sense a joke here... :P

• I found this Informative 4

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

I cant imagine me ever finding a rarer tooth than this self collected Edestus tooth I found earlier this month.  

20180716_175123.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

3 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Hahaha missed that, there are actually ways to tell them apart by the teeth though. Hexanchus more so.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 minutes ago, Ramo said:

I cant imagine me ever finding a rarer tooth than this self collected Edestus tooth I found earlier this month.

Nice! A rare (and old for a shark) tooth and a bit of cartilage jaw as well! 

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 minutes ago, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Yes... and no... lol. It is true though

7 minutes ago, Ramo said:

20180716_175123.jpg

Amazing! I have a few jaw sections I acquired but would love to find one myself one day. This one looks pretty big

5 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Hahaha missed that, there are actually ways to tell them apart by the teeth though. Hexanchus more so.

Noto’s can be told apart the same way. 

40 minutes ago, Ramo said:

20180716_175123.jpg

Nice. Is this a Kansas find?

Actually not as big as it looks.  This was a field photo that I zoomed in.  

Yes it is a Kansas find.  I was invited to hunt a spot in the southeast corner, and I will be forever grateful.

20180717_151527.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I have some sharks tooth I consider rare here in Japan but here's the first one.

It is yet under identification so I can't tell you a lot about its ID other than it is a late cretaceous (santonian) Palaeospinacidae ( either a Synechodus sp. or a Paraorthacodus sp.)

The root and some cusp are lacking but it is still a beautiful tooth. Why this tooth is the rarest for me?

1) Because the first Paraorthacodus tooth in Japan has been discovered in 1986 in the Himenoura formation and then none until last week.

I think is is not the second occurrence in Japan because a lot of hunters do not report their find but it is cool to think that it could be only the second occurrence of the shark. 

2)Because the crown is only 3mm tall. what a cute baby!

paraorthacodus.jpg.5033a37739ffa6a99ab2326dccc23f21.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

@David in Japan I would say that’s rare! Nice job finding the incredible tooth!

Happy hunting,

Mason

My contribuition with a Megalodon tooth from Portugal. Not very big (+- 6cm), but very beautiful.

Found in this little matrix.

WP_20160103_18_11_14_Pro.thumb.jpg.03a659e2adb23488ec6e087e85ef5e67.jpg

After a little preparation:

F001.thumb.jpg.5307b45472ee3e61de0a50c8975d4c36.jpg  IMG-20160510-WA0005.thumb.jpg.5768861ac9264b5b2db4b9207e0e8315.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

@Vieira Great meg! Would be incredible just for it’s location, but it very well preserved and nicely colored!

Happy hunting,

Mason

54 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

@Vieira Great meg! Would be incredible just for it’s location, but it very well preserved and nicely colored!

I found one in better conditions, but smaller.

24jan16..thumb.jpg.7c99cfea6fe203a2402e9258f42b47ad.jpg24-01-16.thumb.jpg.c36ca00f79495d3d1feaa6154b7699a2.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

5 minutes ago, Vieira said:

found one in better conditions, but smaller.

This is the first I’ve heard of Portuguese megs! How common are they over there?

Happy hunting,

Mason

This is the first I’ve heard of Portuguese megs! How common are they over there?

Here are very rare. In Portugal there are few places to find megs and even in those places it's very hard to find one, besides that most are broken or just fragments.

This 2 teeth I found in a cliff falling, 2 years ago.

My 3 5/16" lower Mako from Aurora. I've seen a good number of uppers that exceed the 3" mark but not too many lowers.

The tooth next to it is 2 1/4" for comparison.

AuroraMako.jpg.0b3d62412f286de8e973b27503c0d55e.jpg

Another one is my 3 3/16" Benedini. It's not the prettiest, but 3"+ Benedinis are exceptionally rare!

benedini.jpg.7dc8cab98b1fbe89834b0bbcb9843640.jpg

Wow @Meatasaurus93! That’s a HUGE C. hastalis, makes my little ones look like small fry. Must’ve been a gigantic shark! Someday I’ll get my hands on one of those 3 inchers. Did you find it? You can now join the 3” club!

Just a note though, technically they are white sharks not Makos if you concur with the placement of hastalis into Carcharodon.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Wow @Meatasaurus93! That’s a HUGE C. hastalis, makes my little ones look like small fry. Must’ve been a gigantic shark! Someday I’ll get my hands on one of those 3 inchers. Did you find it? You can now join the 3” club!

Just a note though, technically they are white sharks not Makos if you concur with the placement of hastalis into Carcharodon.

I wish I found it, but it was purchased.

Yes, I'm aware of their current classification. :)

Still working on finding that elusive three incher here.

Maybe on our October trip, eh Jason?

Crossing my fingers! :fingerscrossed:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

6 minutes ago, Meatasaurus93 said:

I wish I found it, but it was purchased.

Yes, I'm aware of their current classification. :)

Still an epic tooth! And so is that Parotodus!

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 4 weeks later...

Not a rare species but from a scarce site that supposedly you can no longer collect from. “Bluesite” SC Megalodon teeth.

JRpGBE.jpg

Trying to jumpstart this thread back. Shark teeth are my fav fossil 

• I found this Informative 2