Show us your Sphenacodontidae collection.

Bobby Rico

6 hours ago, caldigger said:

The obvious huge change to the scientific realm aside, whats this going to do to the toy dinosaur industry?!!!!

I am not going with this theory . Regarding the toy industry they will need more plastic and that not good for the environment. I suggest we boycott this “down with the hump” .:D

8 hours ago, Still_human said:

I very much like this article. It doesn't specifically cover the dimetrodon back issue per se, but they do refer to it as if it is definitely sail-backed, actually using it as the reference for being sail-backed, instead of hump-backed. I like that it agrees with me, and even better, that it doesn't just phone it in. It's not someone just trying to push the theory they prefer.

Let's try to be mindful of hijacking a thread that is meant to show off peoples' personal collection items related to Sphenacodonts.  ;) 

If there is interest in continuing a discussion about the merits of different theories, they should probably be in a different thread. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Dimetrodon had a sail very unlike anything you could imagine... the whole genus is also changing a bit. 

• I found this Informative 1

I thought science always looked for modern day examples to explain that which we cannot see.  Why would there be that big a difference in such a feature as a sail fin?

Photo from https://reptilis.net/2014/06/21/tall-spines-and-sailed-backs-a-survey-of-sailbacks-across-time/

Trioceros cristatus in life and under X-Ray. Note the prominent sail with visible outlines of the spinous processes. Images by: Benjamin Klingebiel (living), and J.M. Eder and E. Valenta (X-Ray)

• I found this Informative 2

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

1 hour ago, paulyb135 said:

Does anyone else have dimetrodon teeth they can share pics of? 

Actually, there's a number of them and other Sphenacodont fossils throughout the thread, especially the first couple pages. We all started drifting away from just Sphenacodont fossils, to a general discussion about Sphenacodonts. Sorry everyone, plenty of that was my fault! I'll pull some of the teeth pictures up again here.

1 hour ago, Walt said:

I thought science always looked for modern day examples to explain that which we cannot see.  Why would there be that big a difference in such a feature as a sail fin?

Photo from https://reptilis.net/2014/06/21/tall-spines-and-sailed-backs-a-survey-of-sailbacks-across-time/

Trioceros cristatus in life and under X-Ray. Note the prominent sail with visible outlines of the spinous processes. Images by: Benjamin Klingebiel (living), and J.M. Eder and E. Valenta (X-Ray)

1 hour ago, Still_human said:

Actually, there's a number of them and other Sphenacodont fossils throughout the thread, especially the first couple pages. We all started drifting away from just Sphenacodont fossils, to a general discussion about Sphenacodonts. Sorry everyone, plenty of that was my fault! I'll pull some of the teeth pictures up again here.

It isn't necessary to repost pictures.  
Let us just keep the thread focused on fossils in peoples collections, rather than those for sale, or those from museums, and also from tangential topics. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Oh, only stuff that is personally owned? Ok, then I'm all out lol. hopefully I'll have more to include, down the line.

Anyone who's interested in continuing the other dimetrodon/sphenacodont discussions and whatnot, I'm going to open a new thread to basically pick up where this one has left off, with all the talk/theories/info/etc and stuff, so we can stop interfearing in and hijacking this thread--sorry about that Bobby Rico. "General Dimetrodon/Sphenacodont talk"

Oh, only stuff that is personally owned? Ok, then I'm all out lol. hopefully I'll have more to include, down the line.

Anyone who's interested in continuing the other dimetrodon/sphenacodont discussions and whatnot, I'm going to open a new thread to basically pick up where this one has left off, with all the talk/theories/info/etc and stuff, so we can stop interfearing in and hijacking this thread--sorry about that Bobby Rico. "General Dimetrodon/Sphenacodont"

I don’t mind I am enjoying it. 

• I found this Informative 2

34 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I don’t mind I am enjoying it. 

Me too. I'm getting that not many are in possession of these fossils. 

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

9 minutes ago, Innocentx said:

Hi there  Me too. I'm getting that not many are in possession of these fossils. 

Yeah. I don't know if it's that there's maybe less available(other than teeny tiny teeth), or if it's that they're just less popular than dinos are?

less popular than dinos

Pretty sure that's right as there seems to be a sort of 'looking down upon' the sphenacodontidae as fake dinosaurs, probably leftovers from judgments of old incorrect thinking.

"Journey through a universe ablaze with changes" Phil Ochs

Yeah. I don't know if it's that there's maybe less available(other than teeny tiny teeth), or if it's that they're just less popular than dinos are?

If they’re less popular you’d think they’d be readily available and cheaper.

the things I would do to own an inch or larger dimetrodon tooth like @Dracorex_hogwartsia Has. It’s incredible. 

I have seen some images of some online and I’ve been gobsmacked. Something about them intrigued me and I’m determined to own one at some point :fingerscrossed:

If one attends the Tucson fossil show, which is the biggest around, its pretty hard to find Dimetrodon material.  Some years a few pieces pop up and you may see a tooth, bone or a skeleton.   There is no comparison to shark teeth or dinosaur fossils in interest or product.  Partly due to availability and my guess is that  diggers focus on where they can make more $$$.

• I found this Informative 3

6 hours ago, Innocentx said:

Pretty sure that's right as there seems to be a sort of 'looking down upon' the sphenacodontidae as fake dinosaurs, probably leftovers from judgments of old incorrect thinking.

Wow, thatd b sad. 'Metro is a crowd favorite, but I guess maybe still not enough:/

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

If one attends the Tucson fossil show, which is the biggest around, its pretty hard to find Dimetrodon material.  Some years a few pieces pop up and you may see a tooth, bone or a skeleton.   There is no comparison to shark teeth or dinosaur fossils in interest or product.  Partly due to availability and my guess is that  diggers focus on where they can make more $$$.

That would definitely explain the higher prices

On 8/22/2018 at 3:05 PM, Troodon said:

Hi Troodon,

In the 80's-90's, if you wanted Permian vertebrate fossils, you went to Geological Enterprises.  I believe Allen collected some of the stuff himself.  You could also trade for it if you knew collectors in the area.  I have a small collection of bones and teeth of various animals from Oklahoma and Texas including a Dimetrodon tooth much like the small one shown early in the thread.  I think if you went to Fossilmania or MAPS, you might find a connection for that.

Jess

1 minute ago, siteseer said:

you went to Geological Enterprises

That’s where I got my vert, pretty cheap too

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

Hi Troodon,

In the 80's-90's, if you wanted Permian vertebrate fossils, you went to Geological Enterprises.  I believe Allen collected some of the stuff himself.  You could also trade for it if you knew collectors in the area.  I have a small collection of bones and teeth of various animals from Oklahoma and Texas including a Dimetrodon tooth much like the small one shown early in the thread.  I think if you went to Fossilmania or MAPS, you might find a connection for that.

Jess

Glen R was a source at the show for better Dimetrodon material but now retired.  Last few years have been pretty slim although other permian is around.

18 minutes ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

Diadectes

Thank you that’s a nice tooth. I had to look that creature up, very cool. I find the mammal like reptile extraordinary. I going to add a tooth from Diadectes to my wish list. All the best Bobby 

• 1 month later...

This isn't very impressive, but it's pretty big and robust compared to the ones usually for sale. I had to get a claw eventually, and until I'm ready to spend a lot and wait for a big one, I'm happy with this little guy:)

IMG_7964.JPG

IMG_7965.JPG

IMG_7967.JPG

Theyre actually shaped differently than I thought they were. I thought the were more flat on the bottom and thinner on the top, like spinosaur toe claws, not like this. 

• I found this Informative 3

9 hours ago, Still_human said:

Theyre actually shaped differently than I thought they were.

Yeah they are very different to dinosaur claws quite wedged shaped. Where’s was it found? Nice claw congratulations. :dinothumb: