Trace in Md

Baddadcp

rhizolith perhaps?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

rhizolith perhaps?

Yes, that's it. I learned something today. Can you pick up any shapes in the mass or is that an active imagination?

15 minutes ago, Baddadcp said:

Yes, that's it.

5 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

perhaps?

I'd stick with perhaps.

3 hours ago, Baddadcp said:

Yes, that's it. I learned something today. Can you pick up any shapes in the mass or is that an active imagination?

Little bit of both? I’ve seen a good amount of rhizoliths in the Potomac group (though usually in unconsolidated sediments so probably younger), and some others ones elsewhere so they are stored in my heads recognition bank. Now if I could just get dinosaur footprints in it....:D

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

For those who don’t know which trace fossils we are talking about, zoomed in and pointed to:

B8F02E04-FF3E-4599-9607-A7F62BC93AE2.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 minutes ago, Baddadcp said:

How about these?

My take is that concretion preserved a different form of ichnofossil. Some sort of burrowing trace.

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

My take is that concretion preserved a different form of ichnofossil. Some sort of burrowing trace.

That was my thought too. But the first one is up in the air. Apples and oranges?

55 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

That might be correct.

I would compare them with the ones below. :)

5b6222ea75863_Tracefossilconcretions.thumb.jpg.3fdd4b4d198f3aeeadb9e041523a9382.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

9 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

That might be correct.

I would compare them with the ones below. :)

5b6222ea75863_Tracefossilconcretions.thumb.jpg.3fdd4b4d198f3aeeadb9e041523a9382.jpg

Amazing that these were found in New South Wales. Mine in Maryland, USA. Virtually identical.

18 minutes ago, Baddadcp said:

Amazing that these were found in New South Wales. Mine in Maryland, USA. Virtually identical.

One of my ex girlfriends once said: "the world is round" :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

19 minutes ago, Baddadcp said:

In most instances it is impossible to know if they were produced by the same type of animal. Most any body shape moving through sediment can leave this shape behind. 

2 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

In most instances it is impossible to know if they were produced by the same type of animal. Most any body shape moving through sediment can leave this shape behind. 

fair enough. But I am amazed at coloration AND form.