Found this, not sure tho

nautilus_dweller

Hi all! Dug around whiskey bridge yesterday and found what resembled a geode. The top part came off so I dug the rest out, any ideas? 

image.jpg

It looks like concretion to me. Could be a fossil(s) inside the rocks if you split them. Did you find any fossils?

• I found this Informative 1

the first pic looks like the kind of concretion known as "Indian Paint Pot". If you google that you'll get some good information

Doesn't resemble a geode to me

Definition of geode

1 : a nodule of stone having a cavity lined with crystals or mineral matter

31 minutes ago, Bronzviking said:

Doesn't resemble a geode to me

Definition of geode

1 : a nodule of stone having a cavity lined with crystals or mineral matter

You must have misread, I said resembled a geode. The first pic I posted, the piece is upside down. Not showing the nodule. Which apparently I should have posted a pic of. 

1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

It looks like concretion to me. Could be a fossil(s) inside the rocks if you split them. Did you find any fossils?

Not very many of note. But I plan on splitting this piece when I get home. 

Whiskey Bridge?! .... I have no idea where that is but it sounds like a shot needs to be sipped upon! 

Burleson County, Texas

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

2 minutes ago, Plax said:

I think an indian paint pot is technically a geode. the minerals inside being amorphous

I think that is a far stretch. The interior of a paint pot is usually limonite, which weathers out when exposed. They are not hollow or crystal lined.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

limonite is a mineral. A few Paint pots I've had could be shaken before breaking and sloshing could be heard. Once they are washed of the "paint" they are quite hollow.

Perhaps you's prefer "hollow concretion partially filled with amorphous minerals". I did say "technically" a geode. We are talking about a non-technical word for these concretions.

Am thinking that your experience with paint pots in the field is different than mine which may be due to the loose usage of this non-technical term. Perhaps the ones you found were solid inside but virtually all of the ones I've collect are hollow.

"crystals or other mineral matter" is in the definition of Geode.

15 minutes ago, Plax said:

imonite is a mineral.

Technically it is a mineraloid (like opal) because of its amorphous nature. A mineral has an organized molecular structure.

Sorry but because of the tendency for dealers to misidentify things to make them more sellable, I tend to be **** about things like this.

The only "concretion" I am aware of that could also be considered a "geode" is a septarian nodule that has some hollow areas inside of it.

so the concretions that we find with crystals inside aren't geodes? Guess I've been throwing the term around too loosely.

I wasn't talking about selling anything. This is conversation.

1 hour ago, Plax said:

so the concretions that we find with crystals inside aren't geodes?

Would like to see one. (My guess is that they are not concretions.)

1 hour ago, Plax said:

I wasn't talking about selling anything. This is conversation.

It tends to bleed over (at least for Me.).

If someone on TFF started calling mako teeth baby megalodon, most on here would scream bloody murder. Calling an iron concretion a geode amounts to the same thing as for as I am concerned.

So I gather picture 1 came off the top of this

image.jpg

How tall is it?

It looks like a concretion to me too. What is the primary rock material? It looks like there is a lot of color variation to it. Does it have any crystal lines? Have you rinsed it off. If not that may give us a better idea of what kind of concretion it is.

Its pretty cool looking. I like it. I collect concretions and I’ve never come across one like that.

For the TFF members a tad bit of info on Whisky Bridge. It is near or in Bryant, TX. It is Eocene in age and is known for some great clam and gastropod fossils.  I haven’t been collecting there myself, but I’ve seen a lot of the stuff that comes out of there.

• I found this Informative 2

It's pretty cool, whatever it turns out to be. I see Kim already asked how tall it is...:popcorn:

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury