Pennsylvanian Nodules

copacetic

We went up to Terre Haute, IN for a wedding this past weekend. I was looking forward to us being able to actually hunt for some fossils of our own as I had read online about Fowler Park/Griffin Bike Park and its nodules. I decided to check out the park rules after we got up there and lo and behold, Vigo County doesn't allow fossil collecting. I didn't want to set a bad example for my daughter so we refrained, much to our dismay. On the way home we stopped at an antique mall and happened to find someone selling jars of split nodules! So, we didn't come home empty-handed after all.

Below are the better pieces that were in our jar. I used this guide and decided we had some pecopteris and macroneuropteris, but I'm not sure what all of them are, especially the blobby thing on the upper right. See detail photos of blob.

DSC06162-web.jpg

DSC06165-web.jpg

DSC06166.jpg

Didn't know they were allowing fossil hunting there again. This be good news...

...I'm back.

1 minute ago, Raggedy Man said:

Didn't know they were allowing fossil hunting there again. This be good news...

Better read it again. 

It was stated that they could not do any hunting there.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Yes, it's a real shame about the park- I was lucky enough to collect a few times before they shut it down. 

I agree that it looks like you have a few Pecopteris there (that big grey one is really nice!) , some pieces of bark, a partial Macroneuropteris, and Cyperites (the thin red leaf). The big blobby thing may be a coprolite or calcite buildup around some non-specific organic remains. 

I would be interested in seeing a clearer picture of the round dark nodule under the blob (the left one)- I'm not sure what that is. 

@deutscheben, here's a better pic of the one you ID'd as Cyperites. I've been calling it "the toothpick." :ighappy:

Here's a better picture of the larger of the two round nodules, too.

DSC06170-web.jpg

DSC06167-web.jpg

Thanks for posting the bigger pictures. Unfortunately I don't see anything in the round one that would allow it to be identified beyond "plant material". 

15 hours ago, ynot said:

Better read it again. 

It was stated that they could not do any hunting there.

Thanks Tony

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.