Fossil or concretion?

Baddadcp

Ichno?  A cool specimen anyway.  Hey if it's a coprolite could it pass for a concretion and fossil.

7 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

Ichno?  A cool specimen anyway.  Hey if it's a coprolite could it pass for a concretion and fossil.

I am at a loss. But it looks neat and came from a place of much material. Looks like Jack's beanstalk bean or a small kidney. What would it be a trace of?

looks like a concretion to me

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

3 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Also, can I see a close up of the inclusions? Are they bone or plant?

which ones?  as soon as possible.....

the big one looks like a concretion and if those are radiating (perhaps annular is a better word) lines on the little guy I agree with Ludwigia. The big one may be hollow like an indian paint pot. If solid it may have a fossil inclusion.

12 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

Do you mean “secretion and a fossil”? :rofl:

• I found this Informative 2

14 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

The "little brother" could be a bivalve shell.

Eh, maybe, but it's smooth as a baby's bottom and shape is non committal. Here is a close up. Though next to it is a stem end (or other). Visible below the rule at the 11/16 mark.

son of mud bean close up 8-8.jpg

son of mud bean guest appearance stem.jpg

6 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

These...can you tell if they are bone or maybe crab bits? What about a crab nodule @RJB?

:hearty-laugh:

Baddad.jpg

Here are "inclusions" as requested and some detail shots of the base/thing interface. #1 sure looks like a bit of shell. There are known croc skat in this formation. Do they eat mollusks?

mud bean inclusion 1 8-8.jpg

mud bean inclusion 2a 8-8.jpg

mud bean inclusion 3 splash edge.jpg

mud bean gap 8-8.jpg

mud bean splash 8-8.jpg

Though not in the Potomac group, not far away in the upper Cretaceous formations of Maryland, multiple crabs have been found. They are, of course, Marine though.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, Baddadcp said:

There are known croc skat in this formation. Do they eat mollusks?

Crocs have very acidic systems - only hair and feathers survive. Mollusk shells would be completely digested. But that wouldn't necessarily be the case for other carnivores, or even herbivores. I don't recognize any of the inclusions. I wish I was more familiar with the formation, but even then, it can be hard to identify bits and bobs. :headscratch:

Live in rural Florida long enough and you will see undigested collections of dog collars and tags saved by El legarto.  Sad but true.  I would imagine that maybe crab shell might survive long enough to pass through.

4 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

Live in rural Florida long enough and you will see undigested collections of dog collars and tags saved by El legarto.  Sad but true.  I would imagine that maybe crab shell might survive long enough to pass through.

Ever find any shoes?  Size 14?  In a nice leather upper? :) (sorry, couldnt help myself)

• I found this Informative 1

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Yes, well my scorecard reads 5 and 3, and a couple of belts thrown in.  Size 14 huh?  Maybe on my next visit down there...

2 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

Yes, well my scorecard reads 5 and 3, and a couple of belts thrown in.  Size 14 huh?  Maybe on my next visit down there...

Seriously though, I hear they are really becoming a menace down there. 

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

It has been a very rainy year so far.  Travelling SR100 south toward Starke a few weeks ago I saw a big'un in the middle of the road - he had not looked both ways.

When I pulled over to look I saw that this big ditch gator was really fat and healthy looking.  There were a lot of stomach contents on the road.

When the water environment is healthy these guys are healthy and really breed.  More for me.

23 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

hese...can you tell if they are bone or maybe crab bits? What about a crab nodule @RJB?

Looks like something, but I have no idea what?   Im not used to this type of rock so anyone's guess is better than mine. 

RB

• I found this Informative 1