Sharks Tooth ID Calvert Cliffs

STH

I apologize for the picture...I don’t have the tooth with me to take a better one. Just curious if anyone knows what kind of shark the larger tooth belonged to? It’s 1 and 1/2 inches tall and was found on the beach at Calvert Cliffs, Maryland. It’s the only one i’ve found where the base of the tooth is as wide as the top so i’m curious what kind it is. The edges are smooth. AE8CFCE6-F955-4554-9AF5-B58271305327.thumb.jpeg.e2e959351883ac487b2c6753ec414149.jpeg

Carcharodon hastalis, ancestor of the great white shark. Nice tooth.

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

15 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Awesome, thank you!

27 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I agree. Cool find!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

52 minutes ago, STH said:

Awesome, thank you!

No problem, anytime!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The bigger tooth is probably an upper lateral narrow-form Cosmopolitodus hastalis (meaning that the tooth is from the middle position of the shark's upper jaw between the snout and the throat, and the tooth belongs to a variation of the shark known as narrow-form).

The uppermost tooth on your hand is a thresher shark tooth, probably that from the extant common thresher shark Alopias latidens. (Based on what I can see the most on the picture, I don't believe that there is a deep line on the center of the tooth. But there is one, the species is more likely to be that of a big-eye thresher shark Alopias superciliosus.)

The tooth below is from a species of extant requiem sharks of the genus Carcharhinus, however it is very difficult to determine the exact species on teeth alone as many species of the genus have such similar teeth. I think that the tooth could be a silky shark Carcharhinus falciformis.

The last tooth is also a tooth from the Carcharhinus genus, maybe a dusky shark Carcharhinus obscurus. (The species are only guesses and could be wrong)

Those teeth are very nice, nevertheless! Great haul!

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

1 hour ago, Macrophyseter said:

The bigger tooth is probably an upper lateral narrow-form Cosmopolitodus hastalis (meaning that the tooth is from the middle position of the shark's upper jaw between the snout and the throat, and the tooth belongs to a variation of the shark known as narrow-form).

The uppermost tooth on your hand is a thresher shark tooth, probably that from the extant common thresher shark Alopias latidens. (Based on what I can see the most on the picture, I don't believe that there is a deep line on the center of the tooth. But there is one, the species is more likely to be that of a big-eye thresher shark Alopias superciliosus.)

The tooth below is from a species of extant requiem sharks of the genus Carcharhinus, however it is very difficult to determine the exact species on teeth alone as many species of the genus have such similar teeth. I think that the tooth could be a silky shark Carcharhinus falciformis.

The last tooth is also a tooth from the Carcharhinus genus, maybe a dusky shark Carcharhinus obscurus. (The species are only guesses and could be wrong)

Those teeth are very nice, nevertheless! Great haul!

Thanks so much for all this! I gave them to my nephew, so this info will give him a great start to researching and learning more about them.