Another Hash Plate Fragment ID Request

BLT

Hello, I’m hoping someone will identify some of the fragments on this hash plate for me. It appears to be mostly crinoid stems? It is from my yard in middle Tennessee. 

F4A0EFCF-9CCF-4C17-98B9-5E6730F4197F.jpeg

866F1C69-0086-4DCC-959F-A24E75C79C66.jpeg

81D7220B-831F-4514-9E35-03F4D44B52F2.jpeg

A401E32D-F621-4DAB-9015-8D5172B06F8E.jpeg

01E3BB33-AF9B-4565-9347-4228B41B7CD5.jpeg

04B7FA47-2AB3-456F-9AEF-2AD7A257A8A4.jpeg

1AC78355-BDD5-43F8-9410-584B7530F0AB.jpeg

B833C0D3-0672-41E7-B28B-3A7B2F13549F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I see crinoidal limestone, with some shell cross sections, an indeterminate gastropod, and possibly some trilo - bits. 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

I see crinoidal limestone, with some shell cross sections, an indeterminate gastropod, and possibly some trilo - bits. 

Thanks! :)

The dark object in the first photo may be a partial hypostome from an Isotelus trilobite.

• I found this Informative 2

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

26 minutes ago, Paciphacops said:

The dark object in the first photo may be a partial hypostome from an Isotelus trilobite.

I just googled it. Maybe so? It does rather resemble the pics I just saw online. ~ Thanks! :)

Nice finds. I love crinoid hash plates! First picture also reminds a bit me of a partial Isotelus, maybe not hypostome?????

*grumble* The closest I've ever gotten to getting a hash plate required ordering hash browns in a restaurant, yet BLT's yard seems to be made of them. :shrug:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I think the purple bit in the first photo is a bryozoan. 

Nice piece. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

9 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Nice finds. I love crinoid hash plates! First picture also reminds a bit me of a partial Isotelus, maybe not hypostome?????

Thanks! :) I like that I notice something new practically every time I look at a hash plate. Hmm. Maybe not then? :headscratch: I’m still trying to learn how to identify trilo-bits.

15 minutes ago, daves64 said:

*grumble* The closest I've ever gotten to getting a hash plate required ordering hash browns in a restaurant, yet BLT's yard seems to be made of them. :shrug:

:hearty-laugh:A previous owner must’ve had a love of rocks/fossils because there are small rock walls and stepping stones all over the place. It’s just a matter of flipping one over to see what all is underneath. Personally, I think it is much more fun finding them in the creek for myself. 

14 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I think the purple bit in the first photo is a bryozoan. 

Nice piece. :)

Gotcha. Thanks! :) 

Looks Mississippian. If so, not Isotelus.  Tidgys Dad might be right with bryozoan, but I wondered if it could be fish material?

42 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Looks Mississippian. If so, not Isotelus.  Tidgys Dad might be right with bryozoan, but I wondered if it could be fish material?

Hmm. Alright, thanks! According to the USGS, most of my county is Mississippian. 

Now that I think about it,  the crinoidal limestone I find around middle TN is mostly Mississippian.

If the USGS maps you looked at were not higher resolution, you can download the west central and east central sheets that cover middle TN here.

http://www.tennesseefossils.com/Geology04.php

There is also some good info there about TN fossils. 

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

11 hours ago, Paciphacops said:

Now that I think about it,  the crinoidal limestone I find around middle TN is mostly Mississippian.

If the USGS maps you looked at were not higher resolution, you can download the west central and east central sheets that cover middle TN here.

http://www.tennesseefossils.com/Geology04.php

There is also some good info there about TN fossils. 

Thanks for the link! I’m still unsure of the formation(s) for my area though. :headscratch:

2 hours ago, BLT said:

Thanks for the link! I’m still unsure of the formation(s) for my area though. :headscratch:

Someone posted this awhile back.

It helps me out alot.

https://macrostrat.org/map/#3/40.80/-94.10

Click on the 3 bars at the bottom, then the search icon (magnifying glass) and enter a location. A sidebar will open with formations in that location.

Hope this helps!

Steve

41 minutes ago, Bullsnake said:

Someone posted this awhile back.

It helps me out alot.

https://macrostrat.org/map/#3/40.80/-94.10

Click on the 3 bars at the bottom, then the search icon (magnifying glass) and enter a location. A sidebar will open with formations in that location.

Hope this helps!

Awesome! Thanks so much!! I have now FINALLY figured out which formations are in my area. :)

39 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

So what formations do you have?  Bangor?

I have the St. Louis Limestone and Warsaw Limestone.

St. Louis and Warsaw....you're speaking my language as that's all over here. That sure looks like a hunk of Warsaw. Super hard and full of fossils. Look hard and you might find a fish tooth or two.