Choptank Formation Mystery

Kimi64

Hi everyone, I found this odd fossil while hiking along the Bay Saturday. I almost left it because I thought it was just a shell, but it has fossil-like characteristics. It is 3.5 cm at the base & 2.5 cm tall. It is 1cm at it's widest point. Thoughts??

IMG_20180820_135438613_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180820_135423603.jpg

A worn barnacle.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, WhodamanHD said:

A worn barnacle.

Oh, bummer, I have two chunks of barnacle at home, & they honestly don't look like this to me, especially along the top edge, but worn looks can be deceiving I know that for sure. On the bright side, I saw my first day ray barb fossil that some first-time visitors had found, so that was cool. 

12 minutes ago, Kimi64 said:

See, that is what I get for only picking up the 'pretty' barnacles, LOL. 

You're lucky I gotta Rock isn’t here, she would scold you for saying that!

Barnacles have a distinctive color and texture at the cliffs, especially when worn. If you look at a lot of the chesapecten scallops you will see this well. Ray barb it cool, Hard to see those little things. Now go find one!:D

Edited by Kane
Changed "your" to "you're"

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Your lucky I gotta Rock isn’t here, she would scold you for saying that!

Barnacles have a distinctive color and texture at the cliffs, especially when worn. If you look at a lot of the chesapecten scallops you will see this well. Ray barb it cool, Hard to see those little things. Now go find one!:D

Oh, you know I am on it! Challenge accepted!