Maryland Croc, Broken Meg Piece, and Snake on a rainy high tide hunt

MDhunting1299

I got on the beach a little later than I should have and missed low tide. I hiked down the beach in high tide, in my chest waders, and had to turn back because most of the beach had disappeared. Still found some good teeth!

A nice crocodile tooth which was a tripmaker and my first piece of a large Meg! I've gotten smaller meg pieces but this one gave me a lot of hope for the future. It showed me that there are Megs out there.  Found this piece of meg in the wire and rock dividers that separate the cliffs from the beach, apparently called Gabion baskets? Not sure. 

Anyway, I also saw a Snake sitting on some clay! 

Great day, I cant wait to go back. Maybe try a spot in VA next time. 

IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3757.jpg

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_3770.jpg

• Enjoyed 6

4 hours ago, MDhunting1299 said:

I also saw a Snake sitting on some clay! 

Thamnophis sirtalis.

• Thank You 1

6 hours ago, MDhunting1299 said:

Anyway, I also saw a Snake sitting on some clay! 

I seem to recall more snakes guarding the treasure in that movie about some archaeologist from the Midwest... Now what was the name of that movie? :headscratch::P

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1

Probably Indy ! :default_rofl:

Coco

• Enjoyed 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

2 hours ago, digit said:

I seem to recall more snakes guarding the treasure in that movie about some archaeologist from the Midwest... Now what was the name of that movie? :headscratch::P

Cheers.

-Ken

Haha! That is the feeling we are all going for isn’t it? Being Indiana Jones? 

Nice croc tooth.

Land snakes and box turtles wind up in places along the cliffs where water at high tide can be up on the cliff face.  If there isn't a nearby slide that they can get up or a nearby way to get away from the rising water, they will drown.  I've seen a good number of dead, bloated box turtles in the water and on the beach over the years.  I've seen them fall off the cliffs to the beach or into the water.  I have carried mostly box turtles but also a few snakes (you need to know your snakes to do this because even non-poisonous snakes can give a nasty bite) to a safe area.  I've also taken off the beach two different dogs that had fallen off the cliffs to the beach below.  Both were bloody and beat up, but both survived.  I was really upset that the one dog in Virginia had been passed by several groups of collectors who didn't even try to help him.  I led him and sometimes carried him over obstacles for over a mile to get him off the beach and eventually to his owners.  So if you see a non-poisonous land snake, or box turtle or especially a dog or cat on a beach in an area of high cliffs where they can't escape the water at high tide, help them.

Marco Sr.

• Enjoyed 3
  • Thank You 3

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png